gopuff-logo

While Amazon announced this week it would bypass Philadelphia, opting for two other locations on the East Coast for its newest headquarters, delivery company goPuff is taking a different approach. Instead, goPuff this week settled on the Northern Liberties neighborhood of Philadelphia for its new headquarters as it moves forward with a multi-million dollar expansion plan.

Launched by Yakir Gola and Rafael Ilishayev while they were sophomores at Drexel University, the company’s reach has expanded to include 48 markets across the US. The service provides 30-minute delivery of food, alcohol, and household items to customers 24 hours a day. 

Located at 3rd and Spring Garden streets, the new home base will be the focal point of goPuff's $4 million expansion plan, which also includes the construction of several additional warehouses, Governor Tom Wolf announced Tuesday

The installation of the new headquarters will create 150 full-time jobs and 400 additional positions from the new warehouses, 6ABC Action News reported. The project is supported by $400,000 of state funds. 

The new headquarters will fill a vacant space formerly occupied by Irish bar Finnigan’s Wake, and the plan includes improvements to the exterior of the building. 

The move comes after complaints from those living close to the current headquarters in Callowhill, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. 

“We are proud to invest in Philadelphia as we grow our footprint and are grateful for the support of the city,” Gola told 6ABC Action News.