obama
Credit: Lulu Wang

Former President Barack Obama will visit Philadelphia this Friday afternoon to campaign for the reelection of United States Senator Bob Casey and Governor Tom Wolf.

Obama is slated to headline a rally with Casey and Wolf at the Dell Music Center on Sept. 21, and will support Casey at a fundraiser in the evening, according to 69 News. The two Democratic candidates are leading their Republican opponents in the polls, according to the York Daily Record.

Donald Trump Jr. will be also be visiting Pennsylvania to deliver a keynote address at a dinner for the Republican State Committee in Hershey, according to Penn Live

Obama’s visit to Philadelphia is just one stop in his new nationwide campaigning effort, which began when he delivered a speech at the University of Illinois on Sept. 7, CNN reported

Obama’s recent campaign stops result from Democratic efforts to regain a majority in the House of Representatives, which would allow the party to more aggressively counter healthcare and foreign policy laws moving forward in the Trump administration, according to Bloomberg

Some recent polls indicate that Democrats are favored to take back the House this fall. According to a Quinnipiac University poll, Democrats have roughly a 14 percentage-point lead on the nationwide generic ballot question, which asks voters regardless of congressional district which party they are likely to vote for in their respective House race. 

Wolf and Casey are currently leading their opponents by seventeen and thirteen percentage points, respectively, according to a Franklin & Marshall College poll reported in The Times Online.

Obama’s visit to Philadelphia comes one week after his Cleveland rally in support of Richard Cordray for Ohio's Governor. Obama will also be traveling to New York City to headline a fundraiser for the National Redistricting Committee. 

Tickets for the Philadelphia fundraiser event this Friday are now available and will be distributed at various Pennsylvania Democratic Party Office locations across the state.