lgbt
LGBT Center -- Victoria Chen, founder of Penn Q&A Credit: Sophia Lee , Sophia Lee

Members of various Greek organizations gathered on Friday in an effort to foster conversation about race and identity.

Two years ago, the Multicultural Greek Council, the Interfraternity Council and the Panhellenic Council jointly established “Fostering Unity,” an annual cultural competency workshop for members of Greek organizations.

This year, the workshop consisted of two six-hour sessions on Feb. 26 and another on March 18 at the LGBT Center. The sessions are intended to provide members of the Greek community with a comfortable space to voice concerns related to issues of racial inclusion in their chapters.

“[The workshop] explores what Greek life fails and does well pertaining to diversity,” College sophomore Sesana Allen said.

Conversations are not limited to diversity, however. Attendees have the opportunity to speak about a range of relevant topics including body image, socioeconomic status and sexual identity. They also discussed the concept of diversity: What it means and what each chapter can do to ensure that all members feel included.

“It is a chance to engage, learn and be a little uncomfortable in order to make Greek life more inclusive,” Wharton junior Temilola Ransome-Kuti, the chair of the United Minorities Council, said.

Although the event is not mandatory, it is recommended that two members from each chapter attend. Those that attend the event are presumably members who take a vested interest in fixing these problems and promoting diversity within their chapters, Allen said.

During the sessions, members speak about their perspectives on these issues. Attendees also share confidential details about their respective chapters.