Yale University has appointed Jack Beecher as its first Veteran Liaison in an effort to expand undergraduate veteran enrollment.

The Yale Daily News reported that Beecher, in the newly inaugurated title, will meet in coming weeks with Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Jeremiah Quinlan to discuss whether veteran could might be considered as a distinguishing factor in Yale College admissions.

These efforts to expand veteran enrollment will utilize existing veteran recruitment programs such as the Eli Whitney Students Program, through which six veteran students are currently enrolled in Yale College. The program serves undergraduate applicants who have taken a break of five or more years in their education.

The consideration of military experience will allow veteran students to compete with high school students with stronger factors such as AP and SAT scores. 

With this move, Yale University also hopes these students will bring the benefit of their experiences to the larger undergraduate community. Beecher says veteran students “come out with a sense of maturity and purpose which is different than what the typical high school student has.”