20151003_skimmerfestdrewandfreda40

The line to enter Skimmerfest this past weekend stretched far outside Houston Hall.

Credit: Freda Zhao , Drew McKinzie

With a notorious history defined by centuries-old Ivy League rivalries, a fraternity motorcade, a Louis Armstrong concert and a student riot, it’s no wonder Skimmerfest has drawn such a crowd since the reboot of the old tradition.

Though suspended for 52 years by the University, the festival was re-instated four years ago to serve as a fall equivalent of Spring Fling.

Even in the few years since its renewal, the event, complete with free food and live music, has undergone significant changes thanks to the collaborative efforts of the Class Boards, Social Planning and Events Committee, the Undergraduate Assembly, Penn Traditions and Penn Athletics. Unlike past years where entertainment like rock walls, hot air balloons and other activities were the main attractions, this year the main event was a concert.

“We moved away from carnival attractions this year. We found that people are there mainly for the food trucks, the giveaways and the talent,” College senior and Skimmerfest Executive Board member Sabina Spigner said.

The main draw this year centered on British electronic duo AlunaGeorge in the midst of their latest tour, as well as their opener, the electronic Penn student group Blind Prism.

“We sent out a poll asking who people would want to see on campus. We were so lucky to get [AlunaGeorge] for as cheap as we did because [they’re on an] American tour. And, as an opener, Blind Prism fit that same vibe,” College senior and Skimmerfest Executive Board member Roshni Amin said.

Despite the changes in content, the main objective of Skimmerfest has remained constant.

“Our goal this year, as with every year, really, is to just create that Penn hype and that school spirit,” Nursing senior and Skimmerfest Executive Board member Ally Lutfi said. “We really want to draw people to the football game against Dartmouth and hopefully also to Skimmerfest.”

In spite of the inclement weather, the free event went on as planned in Houston Hall rather than Penn Park after Penn football’s loss to Dartmouth. The move to a smaller, indoor venue limited the number of students able to see AlunaGeorge to a lucky 500 who filled the Hall of Flags for the concert. AlunaGeorge played songs from the set of their ongoing tour, including well-known songs “White Noise” and “You Know You Like It.”

“That’s the kind of music I love, and she killed it, even in a smaller venue,” College freshman Annie Batsaikhan said.

For those unable to see the main concert, there was still abundant food from the three planned food trucks: Mr. Softee ice cream, Buttercream Cupcake Truck and Mac Mart mac and cheese, all handed out to the hundreds who filled Houston Hall, but could not get into the concert. In addition to free food, various free Penn gear in the form of t-shirts, tank tops and drawstring bags was available to those patient enough to stand the lines.

In spite of the unfortunate weather, Skimmerfest still managed to meet student expectations.

“Like any other college student, I’m really just all about the free food and Penn T-shirts,” College freshman Max Abrams said.