img_6371

Penn and the Community College of Philadelphia both received a grant from the U.S. Department of Education. 

Credit: Isabella Cuan

On Monday, U.S. Rep. Chaka Fattah announced that Penn will receive several hundred thousand dollars in grant money to increase support services to students.

The grant, which is from the U.S. Department of Education, is for a total of $277,857. The goal of the grant is "to provide opportunities for academic development, assist students with basic college requirements, and motivate students toward successful completion of their undergraduate degrees," according to a press release.

The Community College of Philadelphia also received a grant for the same purpose totaling $257,087. 

In his announcement, Fattah said that he was extremely proud of both institutions and that "the grant awards are critical to ensure that these exemplary institutions can continue to improve and expand their support services for students who need additional assistance as they navigate postsecondary education." 

Fattah, a 1986 Fels Institute of Government graduate, was indicted in July on racketeering conspiracy charges by federal authorities. Though Fattah pled innocent to the charges, Penn Democrats and other political leaders on campus called for his resignation. 

According to the press release, Penn will use the money for its Student Support Services program, which provides more than 175 eligible students with individualized counseling, peer coaching and mentoring, and other programs that will increase the college retention and graduation rates of students.