pope

The leader of the Catholic Church will be coming to Philadelphia next year. And nearly everyone is excited.

Pope Francis confirmed on Monday that he will be attending the World Meeting of Families in Philadelphia in September 2015. His visit will include a public Sunday mass on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway on Sept. 27, 2015. NBC Philadelphia reported that officials estimate that up to two million people might come to see the pope.

It will be the pontiff’s first visit to the United States since he was elected to lead the church in 2013. To date, he has traveled to the Middle East, Albania, South Korea and Brazil.

Mayor Michael Nutter called the news “the largest event in the city’s modern history” in a statement made at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Senator Bob Casey called Pope Francis’ planned visit a “great honor for the city.”

Archbishop Charles J. Chaput of Philadelphia also commented in a New York Times interview that he is “overjoyed by Pope Francis’ announcement that he will join with us for the World Meeting of Families in Philadelphia next year.”

“A hallmark of his papacy has been a keen focus on the many challenges that families face today globally. His charisma, presence and voice will electrify the gathering,” Chaput said.

Penn’s Catholic community anticipates his visit will have a tremendous impact on Catholics and non-Catholics alike. “We’re all very excited about his upcoming visit, and are working to see how best PCSA can collaborate with the archdiocese and other Catholic institutions in Philadelphia,” said President of the Penn Catholic Student Association and Wharton junior Ana Bautista.

The Penn Newman Center could not be reached for comment Monday.