03162013_menslacrosseprinceton400
Men's Lacrosse vs. Princeton Credit: Imran Cronk , Imran Cronk

When the same player is in goal for all but 47 minutes over the course of 41 games and three seasons, it’s clear that he’s an asset.

And that’s exactly what goalkeeper Brian Feeney is for the Red and Blue. The senior is not only instrumental for Penn men’s lacrosse on the field, but also in terms of team dynamics.

“He’s very selfless,” coach Mike Murphy said. “[He] doesn’t really put himself above anybody else.

“In terms of the team, he’s pretty grounded and does well in school. He’s just a good kid, and in everything he does he’s conscientious and performs well.”

Entering his final spring between the pipes for the Quakers, Feeney has prepared for the upcoming season with excitement and a drive to win.

“Obviously I’m coming in with a lot of confidence after starting for the past three years,” he said. “Defensively, I feel like we are really strong. Specifically [senior defense Maxx Meyer] and I, especially since we’ve been together as a unit all three years and we’ve been playing really well coming into the season.”

Feeney was thrown into Penn’s starting lineup as soon as he arrived on campus as a freshman in 2011. The New Jersey native has not only shown consistency since the very beginning, but has also continued to improve over the past three seasons.

“For us, it’s been nice because he’s so good, and it gives us a steady force back there and someone we can count on,” Murphy said. “Especially last year ... in addition to being consistent, he made some of those big time saves that bailed us out and gave us some momentum.

“It’s very nice having a guy that’s played so well with that much big game experience.”

When Murphy came to Penn, he looked to change the way the Red and Blue played lacrosse. Now, the team is playing the way the fifth-year coach imagined when he took over the job.

“We are playing much faster than we were freshman year, and that seems to be what [Murphy] is going for,” Feeney said.

Another factor in Feeney’s success has been his twin brother, senior midfield Danny Feeney.

“Danny has always been on my team,” Feeney said about his brother. “We’ve always started together, and it drives my mom crazy because we have the only two positions that have percentages and stats so everybody knows whether you’re doing good or not.”

The two brothers, along with the rest of the senior class, are looking for the Ivy League championship that has eluded them throughout the past three years. The group is also looking forward to making a run at the NCAA tournament, especially after coming so close in their freshman year in 2011.

“I’m sad that this is my last year playing lacrosse but at the same time really excited for the season,” Feeney said.

“I think [Brian] is going to be very focused this year,” Murphy said. “He’s already got a job and wants to make sure this thing finishes the right way for him and the other seniors.”

A look at Penn men's lacrosse's top 2013 moments

Remembering Penn women's lacrosse's 2013 title run

MLL dreams become reality for Penn men's lacrosse's Losco

Imposing schedules loom for Penn men's and women's lacrosse

30 seconds with ... Ted Rawlings