03272013_gogirlidreessyed6009
Go! Girl, women's travel Credit: Idrees Syed , Idrees Syed

Sometimes, inconvenience and frustration open doors to new and highly original ideas.

At the Penn Bookstore Wednesday afternoon, Kelly Lewis and Erica Arvizu of “Go! Girl Guides” spoke about their successful travel guidebooks written just for women, at an event that culminated their cross-country book tour.

Sponsored by the transportation service company Penske, the “Go! Girl Guides” team has been driving a yellow rental truck across the nation, stopping at local universities to share safety tips for women traveling on a budget, as well as stories about their experiences as travel writers.

Lewis, founder, author and publisher of “Go! Girl Guides,” made it clear that the main goal has been to “empower women to travel the world and give them the tools they need to stay safe and healthy.”

“If I have inspired at least one woman to travel,” Lewis added, “then I have done my job.”

After graduating from the University of Arizona in 2008, Lewis decided to start traveling because she didn’t have the chance to study abroad during college. That was when she started thinking about all of the ways that traveling is different for women than for men.

Lewis said her venture into publishing all started about two years ago out of frustration — it was impossible to find a travel guidebook aimed at women.

Her realization came as a result of various inconveniences she found when traveling abroad. She joked that everything began when it was impossible to buy feminine hygiene products in Argentina, and when visiting Thailand, she had a very difficult time finding a well-fitting bra because the women there are so tiny.

A guidebook specifically geared towards women, then, was much needed.

Today, “Go! Girl Guides” has published four books — three in print and an eBook — including guides on Thailand, Mexico, Argentina and London.

Although they are fairly new, the books have gained popularity because they offer a different approach to guidebooks, Lewis said. They’re more practical, affordable and colorful, and they focus on women’s health and safety and on how to travel on a budget.

Along with safety tips, safe hotel recommendations, places to shop and local recipes, the guidebooks also contain sections on volunteering opportunities offered in their respective countries. Lewis and co-author Arvizu emphasized that volunteering is a great way to stay safe because it helps you build a network and form a great deal of friendships.

Before opening up the floor for questions, Lewis left the audience with one of traveling’s greatest takeaways.

“When you travel, you come back with an appreciation for the culture,” she said. “And not only that, you come back with an appreciation for yourself.”