On behalf of the Philadelphia Police Foundation’s Board of Directors, I want to commend the Philadelphia Police Department, and specifically the Homicide Task Force, that so expertly and expeditiously investigated and charged the alleged perpetrator of the horrific homicide of Dr. Melissa Ketunuti in her Center City home on Monday, Jan. 21.

This crime created a sense of fear amongst residents of this quiet neighborhood, particularly for the many professional women living in this section of the city.

Under the expert leadership and direction of Commissioner Charles Ramsey, First Deputy Commissioner Rich Ross and Captain Jim Clark, the Homicide Task Force focused on leads and tips, and within days identified and arrested the alleged perpetrator of this savage crime.

Although the homicide of Dr. Ketunuti, a woman who dedicated herself to healing sick children, will never make sense, nor will the pain lessen for her family, friends and colleagues, the quick apprehension of her alleged perpetrator did bring them and the citizens of Philadelphia a measure of peace.

Thank you to all of the men and women of the Philadelphia Police Department who worked tirelessly to solve this case. You should know that the Philadelphia Police Foundation is the “Force Behind the Shield,” and we appreciate all of your daily dedication and service.

Maureen S. Rush
President
Philadelphia Police Foundation