This year, 80 freshmen will strive to land on the moon, according to Penn President Amy Gutmann. She was referring to the new class of Integrated Studies Program students in the program’s welcome address on Wednesday afternoon.

For the first time, College freshmen in the Benjamin Franklin Scholars program are living together in Riepe College House and taking a class together every day. The class will integrate different disciplines, including the humanities, sciences and social sciences, said BFS Director Peter Struck.

This program will be pioneering new areas in the University, Gutmann said, adding that the integration of different sciences is what makes American education unique.

“Her speech made us aware of the challenges and work ahead,” said College freshman Anwar Akrouk, who is an ISP scholar. “It excited all of us.”

The ISP program was launched this year to create a greater sense of community among freshmen in the BFS program, Struck said.

“BFS lacked a community and a solid identity,” said College sophomore and Benjamin Franklin Scholar Chris Chan. “This definitely gives it more of a presence.”

The admissions process for College students in the BFS program has also changed.

In the past, students were “tapped” to be in the BFS program through the admissions office, Struck said, whereas this year, College students had to apply to the ISP program. Of the 220 applicants, 80 were accepted, he added.

The other 45 BFS freshmen, who are in the Wharton, Engineering and Nursing schools, were chosen through the “tapping” admissions process.

BFS students from these three schools will not be part of the residential ISP program, Struck said, explaining that the BFS students in the preprofessional schools already have an intensive learning experience that students studying liberal arts were lacking.

However, Struck said he would consider adopting residential options for BFS scholars in other schools in the future.

When choosing students for the program, Struck looked for “the kids who are restlessly curious about everything.”

“All the students are very bright and very interesting. We’ve had some great conversations already,” Akrouk said, adding that the smaller community of the ISP program made the adjustment to Penn easier.

While Akrouk was attracted by the residential aspect of the program, other students were unsure if they wanted to live and take classes with the same 80 people every day.

“At first, I was a little weary,” College freshman Alexander Goldman said. “But I am already very, very close with my hall.”

Goldman explained that the ISP students have already discussed a wide range of topics, “from religion and politics to YouTube videos.”

“We have serious conversations,” College freshman Huizhong Wu agreed. “There are little moments where you’re like, ‘oh yeah, these people are gifted.’”

A year from now, Struck hopes that these 80 students will be passionate about what they are studying. “I want these kids to catch fire,” he said.