09252010_fbcvillanovamelanie0018
Penn Football loses a close and hard-fought game against Villanova Credit: Melanie Lei

The Quakers were so excited to get on the field Saturday for their annual spring football game that running backs coach Steven Downs had to remind them more than a couple times to back off the thick, white sideline.

“Stay the hell back there!” he yelled. “It’s not that hard!”

During the annual offense versus defense situational matchup, the players were clearly amped to be going “live” against their teammates. Let’s be clear: even though the Quakers were playing against themselves, no one was going half speed.

For the established upperclassmen, the game is a chance to warm up their pads and reassert their hold on starting positions.

For the “young kids,” as head coach Al Bagnoli refers to them, the game is a potential proving ground, a culmination of 12 spring practices. The spring game is about showing the coaches what you can do, and each player seemed to sense the urgency.

Sophomore defensive back Dave Twamley walked off the field with blood running down his face from the bridge of his nose. The trainer, after examining Twamley’s nose, concluded that he “might” need stitches. He, of course, returned to the game.

Later in the scrimmage, sophomore running back Jeff Jack ran left, turned the corner and absolutely punished a would-be tackler while being forced out of bounds. Needless to say, raucous cheers followed the loud crunching of pads that occurred just in front of the players on the sideline.

Sophomore quarterback Billy Ragone showed the quickness and elusiveness he employed so well last season — despite missing a few passes — all while sporting a bushy blonde mustache.

For junior defensive lineman Jared Sholly and sophomore running back Lyle Marsh, both of whom missed most of last season due to injury, the game was the closest thing to a comeback they’ll get until September.

Sholly looked strong, bursting through the decidedly new-look offensive line several times on his way to the quarterbacks, each of whom donned a red “don’t injure me” jersey. Marsh ran with power and threw several strong blocks on pass-rushers in the backfield.

With coaches looking on, each and every member of the team got a chance to show what he can do going full speed against some of the best football players in the Ivy League.

In some respects, the spring game is football at its purest: offense versus defense, man versus man. As 15 committed recruits watched from the sideline, the Quakers ran, blocked and tackled each other. Hard.

There is simultaneously a great deal of pressure, yet none at all. No great victories were won on Saturday evening, except for the personal ones. There was little at stake, unless you count playing time, confidence and respect.

The spring game is a small step toward a third Ivy title in as many years. But it’s an important step. And judging by the atmosphere, a fun one too.

ETHAN ALTER is a sophomore history major from Los Altos, Calif. He can be reached at dpsports@theDP.com