In a year when drastic funding cuts are being made throughout the nation, Pennsylvania is no exception.

Gov. Tom Corbett’s(R-Pa.) recently released budget proposal for fiscal year 2012 outlines cuts to various public institutions. Penn, a private school, would emerge largely unscathed by the cuts.

Among the most notable cuts is a 51.4-percent reduction in funding for state-related universities, which includes both private and public universities — like Temple University — that receive a large portion of their funding from the state.

Penn’s portion of state-appropriated funding is also being reduced, albeit not as drastically.

The main recipient of state government aid is the School of Veterinary Medicine, the only one of its kind in the state.

Funding for the Vet School is reduced by 3 percent in the budget proposal.

“A great asset for Pennsylvania agriculture is the University of Pennsylvania and the veterinary and infectious disease services and expertise the university provides,” the proposal reads.

Disease prevention, control and eradication among state-owned animals are among the main services that the Vet School provides to the state of Pennsylvania, according to the school’s website.

“The Vet School is essential to the success of the Commonwealth’s largest industry — agriculture,” University spokeswoman Phyllis Holtzman wrote in an e-mail.

Penn recognizes “the severity of the Commonwealth’s budget challenges. We are, therefore, extremely grateful for the Governor’s proposal,” Holtzmann added.

Another Penn institution included in the budget is the Center for Infectious Disease Dynamics, which had previously lost all state funding in 2009. This year’s budget maintains its state funding for 2012 at the same amount as its 2011 funding — $248,000.

While the cuts in higher education don’t affect Penn nearly as much as state schools, a proposed 1.9-percent reduction to the state-funded Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency’s student grant program would result in the loss of some funds for financial aid.

PHEAA gives state grants to qualifying Pennsylvania residents who attend college in Pennsylvania, regardless of whether the school they attend is public or private.

Even if the current budget proposal is passed, however, “we would not expect a large negative impact on our Pennsylvania students,” Student Financial Services director Bill Schilling wrote in an e-mail.

“In any event, Penn is committed to meeting every student’s full need, so the Pennsylvania students would be protected from any cuts,” Schilling added.