This summer, Kings Court/English College House will get a $10 million makeover.

A project was approved Thursday at the University Board of Trustees Meeting to revamp the interior of the College House.

The money will go toward new lighting, flooring and furniture, as well as new bathrooms and public spaces, Vice President for Business Services Marie Witt said.

She added that new public space in Kings Court will receive air conditioning as well.

Engineering senior William McGill, who is the house manager of Kings Court/English House, said the renovations are a great idea.

“Kings Court really has a nice community. Unfortunately, after freshman year most people move to the high rises or off-campus.” McGill said. With the renovations, McGill hopes the College House will be able to “keep a few more people each year.”

This year, Kings Court/English House hosts 337 residents, the majority of whom are freshmen. Freshmen enrolled in the Huntsman program in International Relations and Business are required to live together on the third floor of Kings Court.

Kings Court was built in 1915, originally a luxury apartment complex. During World War II, Kings Court became a dorm for the Nursing Cadet Corp, acquired by Penn after the war.

English House was built and joined to Kings Court in 1960.

The buildings received their last major renovations in 1994, when $600,000 was spent on the interiors of Rodin College House — known as Hamilton College House at the time — Kings Court and English House combined.

College and Wharton freshman Abhi Ramesh, who lives in Kings Court, said the building is very old. However, Ramesh said that he would prefer that the $10 million go to a worthier cause, such as new resources in academic buildings.

Other residents of Kings Court/English were also surprised by the large amount of money going toward the project.

College and Wharton freshman Elana Furman, who is also a Kings Court resident, thought the cost of the renovations were “really expensive.”

However, she added that the bathrooms especially need renovation. “I wish they had done it earlier,” Furman said.

Some renovations have already been completed. A green roof was unveiled in September 2008 and new windows were installed three summers ago.

The new project will begin this summer and will be completed by September.

The initiative follows a series of renovations to College Houses that have occurred over the past twelve years, totaling about $345 million, Business Services spokeswoman Barbara Lea-Kruger said.

“It’s in the progression of the work we’ve been doing,” Witt said.

College and Wharton freshman Dominic Waltz said he was “annoyed” that the renovations weren’t done before he moved in, but added that “it will be beneficial.”

“We’re trying to invest in housing and dining,” Witt said. Along with the plans announced Thursday to expand dining options in the Quadrangle and 1920 Commons, these projects are designed to improve students’ experiences at Penn, he added.