After several years of slow December sales, retailers around Penn are hoping this holiday shopping season with give them reason to celebrate.

On Thursday, the Associated Press reported that nationally, retail sales in November were strong — an early indicator of optimism about the rest of the year’s profits. Several retailers around Penn are similarly enthusiastic.

Alex Martinez, a beauty advisor at cosmetics and beauty store bluemercury, said she expected upcoming sales, including the “Holiday Shopping Party,” to lure customers to the store.

Martinez, who was working at the store last year when it was known as Douglas, said December is “usually a busier time of year at the store.” She added the most popular items shoppers are buying are gift sets of makeup, perfume and other beauty products.

Other stores around the area, such as Ann Taylor Loft and the Penn Bookstore, are holding sales throughout the month.

Rebecca Taylor, a key holder at Radio Shack, said she expects more customers than usual this December. Even a few days into the month, she has already encountered many holiday shoppers buying “higher-ticket items” on sale, such as laptops, phones and GPS systems.

“I definitely think we were busier this year than last year,” Taylor said.

Artisserie Chocolate Cafe, formerly known as Naked Chocolate, has been seeing similar trends in sales.

Sandy Ruan, a barista at the cafe, said winter is the “perfect time” to come to the shop because of seasonally themed hot beverages and sweets.

For holiday shoppers, she said, “boxed chocolates are really popular.”

She added that the holiday season brings the most customers to the shop, especially around Thanksgiving and Penn’s winter break.

“The day before Thanksgiving, everything kind of sold out,” she said.

For Chris Park, manager of The Natural Shoe Store, “the holiday season is always good for us,” he said.

While the store’s business has been consistent with last year, he said sales “pick up … right as it gets closer to Christmas.”

At The Marvelous, record store workers are displaying a special section of holiday and Christmas music for customers.

However, Manager Bryan Martin said while he thinks music shoppers “just buy for themselves,” listeners should use the time to explore other types of music and LPs.

Martin said he did not expect this season to cause a spike in sales, due to the location of the store and “fickle” nature of the record business.

“It’s all chance … a good deal of luck too,” he said of the business.