While the Civil Rights Act abolished segregation 46 years ago, a new map of Philadelphia serves as a reminder that racial separation still exists around the city, even near Penn’s campus.

The map, created by Eric Fischer on photo-sharing site Flickr.com, uses Census 2000 data to demonstrate the racial makeup of the city. The map shows most neighborhoods are dominated by a single racial group.

Fischer also created similar maps of other major U.S. cities, including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Detroit.

According to Camille Charles, Director of the Center for Africana Studies and professor of Sociology and Education, Philadelphia has historically been one of the most segregated cities in the country. She said the “shocking part” of the situation is seeing the lines of segregation on a map, even though Philadelphia natives know they exist.

Rory Kramer, a sixth-year sociology doctoral student, researches segregation patterns in Philadelphia. “Penn has successfully gentrified westward,” he said, with more white and fewer black individuals living in the area.

He said that while more white people now live around Penn, it is not necessarily indicative of integration. For the newcomers, it is a pleasant place to live because there are more stores and activities for them, he said. However, for the small number of black West Philadelphians still living near Penn, friends and neighbors have moved away along with their businesses and neighborhood dynamic.

Charles attributed some of this change to the University encouraging faculty and staff to live closer to campus in University City and Spruce Hill. Nevertheless, she said diversity in University City is minimal in relation to the predominantly black population in West Philadelphia.

Charles said much of the city’s segregation is a result of legislation for much of the 20th century by Jim Crow-type laws and a segregated housing market.

“Segregation concentrates poverty,” Charles said, noting the sinking economy as a hindrance to neighborhood integration — one that may even lead to increased racial polarization within the city.

She conjectured that at the slow rate of integration Philadelphia sees now, it may be the year 2070 or later before it can experience “substantial change” in the distribution of various races around the city.

Grace Kao, professor of Sociology, Education and Asian American Studies, said some segregation has been perpetuated by educational differences among races. She added that there is a strong desire, especially among white parents, to get their children into a “good school district” with more resources and funding, prompting decisions to live in traditionally white or wealthy areas of town.

Though education levels among all races have increased in recent years, Kao said she does not think segregation is going to decrease as a result. She explained that highly educated individuals of all races still tend to live in areas in which their own ethnic group is prevalent.

Kramer said segregation in Philadelphia has become more pronounced since a population decrease began in the city around 1980, when white populations began moving to the suburbs, as seen on the map.

He added that the U.S. would need a “radical shift” in priorities if more integrated neighborhoods are to be created in the future.