03312010_footballproday011
NFL scouts check out the three Penn seniors eligible for the draft (Chris Wynn, Jake Lewko, and Joe Goniprow) in 2010 on Franklin Field. Eligible seniors from other local universities also participated in the relays and trials. Scouts were from the Philadelphia Eagles, Green Bay Packers, Carolina Panthers, Indianapolis Colts, Kansas City Chiefs, Atlanta Falcons and San Francisco 49ers. Jake Lewko runs the 40 Credit: Katie Rubin

After various offers to try out for National Football League teams, senior linebacker Jake Lewko agreed to terms with the Tennessee Titans yesterday.

Last month, Lewko — along with fellow Penn seniors Chris Wynn and Joe Goniprow — showcased their skills for NFL scouts from around the league.

Following several rounds of the NFL Draft last weekend, co-Ivy League MVP and 2009 Penn team captain Lewko received a call from the Titans.

“The Titans called me Saturday and told my agent that they were interested in signing me to a two-year contract,” Lewko told the Burlington County Times.

Yesterday, the Titans officially released the names of 15 undrafted free agents with whom they had agreed to terms.

Lewko will join fellow all-Ivy team members David Howard and Bobby Sewall from Brown. Howard was drafted in the seventh round, while Sewall signed as a free agent.

Lewko was not available for comment yesterday. But according to ESPN, he will begin field orientation with his rookie teammates on Friday in Nashville.

“Given his great penetration and work ethic, I am confident he will acquit himself very well in this upcoming mini camp,” Penn head coach Al Bagnoli said in a statement.

“Jake has worked very hard to improve himself during his tenure at Penn, and it is very exciting for all concerned to see his effort and dedication pay off.”

After leading the Quakers to an Ivy championship in 2009, Lewko closed out his college career with 174 tackles, four sacks, four fumble recoveries, and four forced fumbles.

Lewko also led the Quakers in tackles during his senior campaign with 76. As a team captain he led the Penn defense to a No. 1 ranking in both total and scoring defense.

He joins a group of Penn alumni that have made the jump into the NFL, including Sean Estrada most recently. The 2007 grad played center for the San Francisco 49ers after signing as an undrafted free agent that year.

Lewko will supplement a draft class that focuses on improving the Titans’ defense.