3871643583_6515feef71_o
Snoop Dogg will join Shwayze and Kid Cudi at the Spring Fling concert.

Amid swirling rumors and speculation, the Social Planning and Events Committee has announced the headlining artist for the Spring Fling concert.

Grammy-nominated rapper, actor, TV personality and record executive Snoop Dogg will take the stage at Franklin Field on April 16.

Rapper Shwayze will join Kid Cudi as a second opening act.

Many students did not know Snoop’s major hits.

“To be honest I don’t know too much of Snoop Dogg, but I like his general persona,” College senior Andrew Karter said.

“My friends aren’t really into Snoop Dogg, I don’t even know if I’ve listened to his music before,” College sophomore Ned Shell said. “I was hoping for someone more pop — I really like Ke$ha … I guess I would’ve wanted someone just very, very mainstream.”

Still, others were pumped about the line-up.

“I’m from West Philly so Snoop Dogg is amazing. Completely been dropping it like it’s hot since I was in seventh grade,” College senior Jeana Kolson said.

Wharton junior Zak Klinvex is also looking forward to the performance.

“The Dogg is the man — besides Cube and Dre obvi — I’m stoked,” he said.

Snoop has recorded ten albums since 1993, with tracks such as his 2004 “Drop it Like It’s Hot” topping the billboard charts. His most recent album, Malice n Wonderland, was released in December 2009.

Over the years, Snoop Dogg has built up a “long, strong history” according to SPEC Concerts Co-Director and College sophomore Jordan Sale. He has earned 12 Grammy nominations.

Snoop has appeared in television and movies. He also had his own reality show, Snoop Dogg’s Father Hood.

With his “dance-party vibe that students have been wanting,” Snoop Dogg was naturally a top choice, SPEC Concerts Co-Director and College senior Rachel Darivoff said.

Shwayze made his record debut in 2008 with a self-titled album which he co-wrote with Cisco Adler.

Shwayze, Darivoff said, “is good at getting people pumped. That’s why it’ll be an amazing opener.”

SPEC announced Kid Cudi as the first opener in late February in an unprecedented scavenger-hunt strategy.

The “Day ‘n Nite” singer was received with mixed reactions from the student body — some were enthusiastic about his ability to excite the crowd, while others were disappointed by his limited repertoire.

Despite the varied reactions to the lineup, Darivoff encouraged students to attend the concert.

“Even if they aren’t familiar with some of the artists, it’s bound to be a good time anyway,” she said.

Tickets can be purchased on Locust Walk or at the Franklin Field box office starting on Wed., March 24. They will also be available online at specevents.net/tickets.