Reported influenza-like illnesses at Penn remain low as the semester ends, with 12.9 new cases per 10,000 students for the week of Nov. 29 through Dec. 5, according to Matthew Waller, director of communications and external affairs for the Office of the Vice Provost of University Life.

These numbers have increased slightly from 11.4 new cases per 10,000 students for November 22-28.

Reported cases at Penn remain higher than the national and state averages, according to the American College Health Association, which reported 5.8 new cases per 10,000 students in Pennsylvania and 5.2 new cases per 10,000 students nationwide.

Influenza rates at Penn have been consistently higher than national and state averages. Overall, 1,101 cases of influenza-like illness have been reported to the Student Health Service since the start of the semester, constituting about 5.5 percent of the total student body.

SHS staff, along with student volunteers from the Medical Emergency Response Team and the School of Nursing, vaccinated more than 7,000 students against H1N1 at the three clinics held this semester, Waller said. Half of all students at Penn in priority groups defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have been vaccinated.

Seasonal and H1N1 flu vaccinations are now available at SHS by appointment. Students are asked to schedule only one vaccine appointment.

All ill students can have a friend pick up a breakfast, lunch and dinner pack for them at any campus dining location, Waller said.

Students with flu-like symptoms, including fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue are urged to remain at home and call the SHS flu help line at 215-746-3535 for further information.