Imagine throngs of students strolling around College Green, picnicking on blankets, listening to live music and getting down to the mash-ups of a world-famous DJ.

This is College senior and Social Planning and Events Committee President Dasha Barannik's vision for SPEC's first-ever Fall Festival, which will take place on Saturday, Oct. 10.

According to Barannik, a "nationally known mash-up artist" will perform later in the afternoon. Barannik was unable to name the artist since the contract has not yet been finalized.

She did, however, say that the artist is popular with college students. "Hopefully there will be a spontaneous dance party with the DJ," she said.

One of the goals of Fall Fest, Barannik said, is to reflect the diversity of Penn's community by getting as many student groups as possible to participate in the festivities. SPEC is offering to provide tables and a space on College Green for groups to run activities.

College senior and SPEC secretary Eileen McKeown said SPEC has reached out to nearly 400 student organizations. So far, McKeown said, the response has been "amazing."

"We were so impressed with how enthusiastic the groups were and how innovative all their ideas were," she added. "People put a ton of time into the proposals they sent us, and I think it's going to make a really fun day."

McKeown mentioned several proposals including a life-size game of Operation run by the pre-health fraternity Alpha Iota Gamma, an open yoga session hosted by the interfaith student group PRISM and a shoot-out where students can try to score against the women's club ice hockey team.

SPEC plans to host a number of activities within the festival including a Battle of the Bands for student bands, which will take place between 2:30 and 5:30 p.m. during the Festival. Students can vote for their favorite band, and prizes will be awarded to the winner.

Other possible SPEC-hosted festival events include mini-golf, manicures, a photo booth and an inflatable moon bounce.

Some groups will provide food in the form of bake sales and giveaways. Cultural groups, such as the Canadians at Penn, plan to make food native to their cultures, McKeown said. Big Brothers Big Sisters has rented out Buttercream, Philadelphia's first and only cupcake truck.

Both Barannik and McKeown voiced hopes that Fall Fest will provide a fun and relaxing atmosphere for the Penn community.

"The ultimate goal is to showcase all that Penn has to offer in terms of student groups," McKeown said, "and create a fun and relaxing day for Penn students and just bring everyone together on campus."

Penn students can view updates, Battle of the Bands and DJ announcements and raffles on SPEC's Web site at specevents.net.