0kfy9q85
Anne Ryan

1/11/07 - 4:29PM

A lawsuit was filed Jan. 11 against the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania on behalf of the family of Anne Ryan, a College sophomore who died of meningitis on Sept. 9th.

Attorney Thomas Kline of Philadelphia law firm Kline & Specter has said that HUP misdiagnosed Ryan with a viral infection when she visited the emergency room three days prior to her death.

The University's statement, released Jan. 11, said:

"We are disappointed by the filing of the lawsuit as Ms. Ryan received outstanding care from a staff of dedicated professionals in the Emergency Department at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Although Ms. Ryan's symptoms were not classic for meningitis, she underwent a thorough evaluation and testing which included receiving the recognized test for detecting meningitis - a lumbar puncture - and the results were negative and remained negative. She unquestionably did not have meningitis when she was tested in the Emergency Department. Tragically, by the time Ms. Ryan returned to the hospital, the medical team was unable to save her despite immediate evaluation and intensive treatment. Although her unexpected death is a terrible tragedy and a great loss to the Penn community, the care she received in the Emergency Department was timely and appropriate."

Kline was not immediately available for comment.