The experience of college athletes at the Penn Relays may best be summed up by Arkansas runner Adam Perkins: "Just give me the baton."

As usual, an all-star cast of collegiate teams will descend upon Franklin Field this weekend. With 240 colleges and universities, from Abilene Christian to York, bringing teams and individuals to participate in the relays, there are thousands of storylines to follow.

Two such stories are those of the Florida State team and the Arkansas distance runners. The Seminoles won their first outdoor men's track and field national championship last year and are now the favorites in a multitude of races this year. Arkansas took the 4-x-mile last year at the Relays and is seeking to defend its title.

The Seminoles have never won a men's championship at the Penn Relays, though. The team is deep and a threat to win any sprint event, especially the 4x100, 4x200, and 4x400. However, it is the 4x100 team that is most likely to blow teams away on the track.

The squad, while not yet officially set, is likely to have two of the top four collegiate sprinters in Walter Dix and Greg Bolden. The two speedsters have run 100m times of 10.11 and 10.21 respectively this year. The team has already run the fastest 4x100m relay of the year, at 38.78 seconds.

"We're shooting for 38 [seconds] low, 38.4 or 38.5," Bolden said. "Hopefully we can get the collegiate record at the same time."

However, Florida State will not go unchallenged. Louisiana State, which has won the event six times, will seek to catch the Seminoles. Led by Richard Thompson and Trindon Holliday, LSU's relay team has run the second fastest race of the year at 39.43 seconds. Texas Christian, Clemson, and Florida are also threats.

"We're looking forward to going against LSU and Florida in particular," Bolden said. "They are supposed to be our toughest competition."

Arkansas which has won 42 men's events at the Relays, third all-time, will be seeking another victory in the mile relay. They eked out Iona last year in that event. Despite losing anchor Josphat Boit, they are a deep squad. Yet even with their depth, they are out to prove themselves since many members of the team are recovering from injuries or illnesses.

"The expectation is to go out and win," runner Micky Corbin said. "I've been thinking of this race all year."

Corbin said that depending on the composition of the squad, which has not been finalized yet, he believes that the Razorbacks are capable of completing the relay in 16 minutes and 10 seconds.

"It is something we are capable of and it is a time that definitely can win the relay," Corbin said.

Arkansas is not necessarily the clear favorite as Iona, Michigan and Oregon will all bring strong squads. In addition, Texas will be anchored by defending NCAA mile champion Leonel Manzano.

"Every year we try to prove ourselves again and again," Perkins said. "The target is always on Arkansas' back. Our approach is just to race and win. I have no other expectation but to win."

Perkins is a five-time All-American but the Penn Relays are always exciting for him.

"It is an experience of a lifetime, there is no other meet like it," Perkins, a Missouri native, said.

"It is just a thrill. I remember being there in high school and knew I wanted to be part of something special."