hbyj1e8v
Spring Fling 2007 in the Quad.

This year's Spring Fling can't have been that much fun - there were fewer parties busted than ever.

But the event has been heralded by University officials as being safer and more sober than previous Flings, meaning thoughts of moving it out of the Quadrangle are likely to be shelved for the time being.

Vice President of University Life Valarie Swain-Cade McCoullum said she was generally happy with students' behavior during Fling and saw more students staying sober around the Quad than in previous years.

More students also sought medical attention for themselves, and they did so in the earlier stages of inebriation, McCoullum said.

However, Assistant Director of Student Life Lee Kramer added that moving or even canceling the event was always a possibility if behavior at the event deteriorates next year.

Alcohol-related statistics for this year's Fling remained steady from the 2006 festival, in which officials also praised students for improving their behavior from previous years.

Prior to last year's Fling, administrators had threatened to move the festival out of the Quad if student behavior did not improve.

This year, however, there were only 27 total incidents, including four arrests, four disturbances or loud parties and 18 hospitalizations due to intoxication, 14 of which were Penn students.

The Division of Public Safety only had two alcohol citations on its records, though that number is expected to grow once statistics from the state Bureau of Liquor Control Enforcement are released.

Last year's Spring Fling also saw 27 total incidents, including three arrests, six disturbances and 11 hospitalizations due to intoxications.

Both figures are a significant reduction from Flings in 2005 and 2004, in which there were 37 and 43 incidents, respectively.

McCoullum attributed the change to the hard work of all those involved in organizing the event, giving special mention to the Social Planning Events Committee's attempts to "challenge the past culture" of Fling.

Kramer agreed, saying that it was up to students to keep Fling alive by improving their behavior.

"It's really up to the student body to change their behavior and change the culture of the event," he said.

- Staff writer Rebecca Kaplan contributed reporting to this article.