Lakshmi Mittal will deliver the keynote address at the Wharton School's MBA Commencement on May 13, Wharton officials announced yesterday.

Mittal is the president and CEO of Arcelor Mittal, the world's largest steel company.

Mittal is a former member of the Wharton Board of Overseers - an advisory group predominantly composed of Wharton alumni - and many of his relatives, including his daughter-in-law, niece and nephew graduated from the School.

"We are very pleased to have Mr. Mittal as our commencement speaker," Wharton Dean Patrick Harker said in a press statement.

"He is an exceptional example of a global leader and demonstrates the roles we hope our students will assume in their careers and private lives," he said.

Harker will deliver the keynote address at the graduation ceremony at Wharton West, Wharton's San Francisco-based MBA program.

The dean, along with alumni, was instrumental in creating Wharton West, which was intended to give executives an education without forcing them to travel cross-country.

This will be the last time that Harker will attend this ceremony; he will assume the presidency at the University of Delaware in July.