72dtqh4f
An apartment building on the 4200 block of Pine street is being renovated. Credit: Mike Ellis

Wondering how to make sure your next party doesn't get busted by the police?

Yesterday, C.L. Lindsay presented a step-by-step guide to serving alcohol at a party while avoiding legal trouble in Rodin College House's Rooftop Lounge.

Lindsay is the executive director of The Coalition for Student & Academic Rights, which he founded in 1998 to help college students with legal issues.

"For the next hour and 20 minutes, think of me as your lawyer," Lindsay said to begin the lecture. "What I'm going to teach you is what your rights are."

In the first section of the talk, Lindsay, an attorney and Penn lecturer in Law and Literature, discussed liquor laws and their enforcement. The current police trend governing underage drinking is "going to the source" of the problem and punishing those who provide alcohol to minors, Lindsay said.

For example, a person caught serving alcohol to 17 minors could face up to $41,000 in fines and 17 years in prison, he said.

"It's way better to be under 21 and drinking than over 21 and giving beer out," Lindsay said.

Noise is the most common reason a party is busted, Lindsay added. He recommended giving neighbors advance notice of the party and asking them to call you, rather than the police, if noise is an issue.

To prevent suspicion, offer evidence that the party is fully legal and prepare for potential problems, Lindsay said students should post signs stating that party-goers must be 21 to drink, check identification at the door and designate at least two hosts who will remain sober.

He also advised containing the party to stay inside the house and backyard, saying that "a trail of junk, a trail of drunks will lead the police straight to your door."

If the police do come, Lindsay said that "the number one thing you can do to protect yourself is to say, 'I do not consent to a search of any kind,'" since there are only a few instances in which the police can enter a home without a warrant or explicit permission.

About 20 students and Rodin staff members attended the event.

College sophomore Aakash Madhu said he was surprised to learn that a student did not always have to let police inside his house.

"The idea of the right to resist the search is something interesting and something that you don't think you should do," he said.