Penn joined the growing list of universities last week opening offices in the nation's capital in order to protect the interests of higher education.

The Office of Federal Affairs -- previously located on Penn's campus -- was relocated to Washington last Wednesday in order to establish a more permanent, visible Penn presence, Vice President of Government and Community Relations Vanda McMurtry said.

"It's a clear demonstration that Penn wants to play a broader role in Washington in national affairs and wants to be more vigilant than it's been in the past looking out for its own interests," McMurtry said.

University President Amy Gutmann said that the move is necessary for Penn to maintain its high national standing.

"We felt that this move would enhance and maintain Penn's position as one of the preeminent research universities in the nation," she said. "We believe it will additionally enable Penn to lend its resources to the most pressing policy issues of the country."

The staff of the Federal Office used to commute from campus to Washington on an as-needed basis, but the new office will mean that Penn officials will be accessible to federal officials at all times.

McMurtry, while saying there were many reasons behind the move, admitted that "a numbers game" was foremost on the administration's mind.

"When you think of the number of people [the staff] has to interact with on campus, it's probably in the 20s," said McMurtry. "In Washington, while we do focus on the Pennsylvania delegation ... right there that's probably 50 people."

McMurtry said that he has noticed that more and more universities are opening offices in Washington amid fears of federal budget cuts for higher education.

"I see the trend going in one direction," he said. "There is a real concern that you need to be down there in D.C., on the ground, ready to protect your interests."

Heading the new office is Associate Vice President Bill Andresen.

Andresen, who has worked with the legislative consulting group Dutko Worldwide since February of last year, is a former chief of staff to both Sen. Joseph Lieberman (D-Conn.) and Rep. Mel Levine (D-Calif.).

"I'm really excited and enthused about representing Penn in Washington," Andresen said. "I also hope this office can be a resource for students who want to be a part of the process down here."

Andresen "has a reputation for bipartisan relationships," McMurtry said. "We were looking for a person who has contacts on both sides of the aisle. We can't be partisan in the work we do."

Other universities maintaining offices in Washington include Johns Hopkins University and the University of California system -- which maintains an entire building of its own.

Penn officials say the new office will also aim to share Penn's knowledge with lawmakers.

For example, Penn officials are currently planning a conference designed to show government officials how they can improve health care for wounded veterans returning from Iraq.

"Penn would share with the broader medical community, the Pentagon, the veterans administration, the Congress some of its ideas of how we think the care of these wounded veterans can get upgraded," McMurtry said. "Does that help Penn? No. The intent is to help out."