[Philip Ng/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Students Norm Lee, Jake Burnbaum and Erica Cohen study in the Information Commons in Van Pelt Library.

The necessity of returning to the library after Spring Fling may be made a little more bearable by the opening of a new high-tech study space.

The David B. Weigle Information Commons is a collection of 10 group-study rooms and 12 restaurant-style group-study booths.

Located in the western wing of the first floor of Van Pelt Library, the space was dedicated yesterday afternoon after about one and a half years of construction.

"The goal of this area is to provide a place for groups to be able to come and work," Assistant Director of Research and Instructional Services Marjorie Hassen said. "While anyone is welcome to come in and use the space, priority will be given to groups."

While some students came upon the Information Commons while wandering Van Pelt, others just followed their noses.

"It smelled like new-wing smell," said College of General Studies student Clotilda Hainline, who spent yesterday afternoon in the commons studying with a friend.

In a few weeks, the commons will have a study-room sign-up process similar to the one used for Huntsman Hall study rooms.

Hassen said students will be able to sign up for study rooms in three-hour blocks if reservations are made at least one week in advance. If rooms are empty, however, anyone can use them.

The final design for the commons came from a survey of students' interests for a group study area, said Ira Winston, a technology adviser for several of Penn's schools.

"The gold standard of group-study space is Huntsman," Winston said. "So we got students to tell us what they liked about Huntsman and what they didn't."

Winston added that the designers specifically worked to make sure the space had enough light.

"If we built this place out of all of these group study rooms, this place would have looked like a cell block," Winston said.

Hassen, the assistant director, added that the commons was built for all students from all schools and that there is no restriction on who can use the rooms.

But the commons is different than the rest of Van Pelt -- no librarians will shush students there.

"If you want to be noisy, this is the place to be," said John MacDermott, the School of Arts and Sciences' director for instructional technology.

And students are already taking advantage.

"We came into [the group study room] because we didn't want to be noisy and interrupt anyone," CGS student JoMidkiff said.

The commons will also make academic resources -- ranging from research librarians to writing advisers -- available in one consolidated location.

"A student can come here and get help in one place and not have to go all over campus," Hassen said.

A formal open house for students will take place on Tuesday.