Penn Police announced yesterday that they believe two violent robbery incidents that occurred last week are connected. They also made an additional arrest in one of the cases, and a warrant has been issued for a third suspect.

The arrests have made the area safer, Chief of Penn Police Mark Dorsey said.

"We believe that these individuals are dangerous felons," Dorsey said, adding that three suspects have extensive and violent criminal records.

Deputy Chief of Investigations Mike Morrin said Friday afternoon that police had arrested Benjamin Walker, 20, who lives near the intersection of 36th Street and Haverford Avenue in West Philadelphia, in connection with the Friday morning robbery of two Penn undergraduates -- a 19-year-old male College freshman and a 21-year-old female College senior.

In that attack, the female victim sustained a wound to the back of her head and had to be treated at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

Although police had speculated Friday that the injury occurred when the victim was knocked to the ground by the assailants, Morrin said yesterday that it was likely the result of being hit with a gun instead.

Morrin added that as the woman screamed, one of her attackers struck her in the head with what police believe was a handgun.

Police believe that Walker and another, unidentified robber fled the scene in a car.

A Penn Police sergeant reportedly saw a car leaving the area quickly and attempted to chase it but soon lost sight of it.

Walker's brother Rayhene, 20, was also arrested Friday.

Rayhene, who reportedly lives with his brother, surrendered to the Philadelphia Police Department's Southwest Detective Division after Benjamin's arrest.

Police had a warrant at the time for Rayhene's arrest as well.

He was wanted in connection with Wednesday evening's robbery of a 25-year-old Drexel University graduate student that occurred at about 9:20 p.m. near 40th and Walnut streets.

In that incident, the suspects allegedly punched the victim in the face -- causing a cut under her right eye -- and stole her purse.

Also wanted in that incident is Brandon Westfield, 19, who lives near the intersection of 37th and Wallace streets in West Philadelphia. Police have a warrant for his arrest.

Detectives said they were aware of the suspects before they were implicated in crimes near campus.

The Philadelphia Police already suspected the men in several robberies in the Police District north of Penn's campus.

Police showed the victims separate photo lineups containing pictures of the Walker brothers and Westfield. All three men have been positively identified by the victims in the respective attacks.