[Scott Hong/DP File Photo] Senior midfielder Lea Salese controls the ball during last season's game against Harvard. Tomorrow, the Quakers will travel to Boston for a rematch with the defending Ivy co-champions.

Only three games into the field hockey season, Lea Salese has proven she is a force to be reckoned with.

Scoring three goals in three games -- including the game-winning shot in overtime at Wednesday's match-up against Saint Joseph's -- Salese has been unstoppable.

But the senior midfielder, who has been playing field hockey since the seventh grade, remains humble about her role in the team's wins.

"I'm just trying to fill a hole that was left last year," Salese explained. "We graduated some really great seniors."

Coach Val Cloud stressed the importance of this year's seniors to the growth and progress of the team.

"They are our leadership and our experience," Cloud said. "I look to them to lead and guide the younger players."

Under the tutelage of such seasoned veterans as Salese and Kristen Gray -- who share the title of team captain -- as well as offensive threat Cara Calahan, the freshman class is quickly learning the ropes of college play.

"All of the freshmen are doing great," Salese said. "As a team we have so much depth."

The team is currently channeling their energy into preparing for tomorrow's game against Ivy League rival Harvard. It will be a difficult match-up -- the Quakers have a nine game losing streak against the Crimson -- but Cloud is confident that the team will give it 100 percent.

"We're still building and building every time we step onto the field," Cloud said. "It will be an interesting contest and it will be a challenge. But I know we'll give it everything we have on Saturday."

Salese agreed that it would be unwise to underestimate the Crimson, but believes that the Quakers' team unity is what makes Penn a strong competitor.

"Our team chemistry on and off the field is our greatest strength," Salese said.

"Everyone understands each other and it really shows."

The Quakers -- Ivy league co-champions with Harvard in 2004 -- will certainly have the opportunity to show what they are made of tomorrow at noon when they meet the Crimson in Boston.