Harvard President Lawrence Summers drew the ire of both female professors within the Ivy League and around the nation when he cited "innate" differences in men and women as a possible reason fewer women succeed in science and math careers.

Summers made the inflammatory statement Friday at a conference on women in science and engineering organized by the National Bureau of Economic Research.

In the lunchtime speech, Summers purportedly said that studies have shown women do not have the same "innate ability" as men in the fields of science or engineering.

While no transcript has been made available of the talk, those in attendance recall Summers bringing anecdotal evidence of his daughter, who though brought up in a gender-neutral environment still named one of her trucks "daddy truck" and the other "baby truck" treating them like dolls.

These remarks prompted Nancy Hopkins, a biologist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to walk out. She later said if she had not left she "would've either blacked out or thrown up".

Penn faculty also took offense to Summers' claim.

"What he said was not based on any scientific evidence," Assistant Professor of Biology Doris Wagner said. "As a scientist I don't off the top of my head dismiss [the assertion] but to make a statement that women are less able to perform than men, that's just terrible."

Associate Professor of Biology Nancy Bonini agreed, saying that she was insulted by Summers' statement. Bonini said that she views possible gender differences as a positive.

"Men and women do science differently," she said. "One of the things that makes science great is that each individual from whatever background they have can bring a unique perspective to science."

Many called Summers' assertion unfounded and speculative.

Dr. Jong-on Hahm, director of the National Research Council's Committee on Women in Science and Engineering, said that current data disproves Summers' claim.

"It's not a biological determinant but a cultural determinant," Hahm said of the reason behind the dearth of women in scientific fields.

While Hahm acknowledges that there are biological differences between men and women, she does not see these differences as holding women back.

Most professors interviewed agreed that the differences between the sexes existed but did not prevent women from being good scientists.

"We don't know enough to make these claims," Women's Studies Department Co-director Demie Kurz said. "It used to be women couldn't do business or diplomacy because their minds weren't suited for it. It's not a question of innate difference -- a lot has to do with the surrounding culture and social institutions."

In a statement released Monday, Summers said that his remarks "have been misconstrued as suggesting that women lack the ability to succeed at the highest levels of math and science. I did not say that, nor do I believe it."

Calling himself "deeply committed to the advancement of women in science," Summers said his remarks were in the "spirit of academic inquiry."

He added that Harvard will continue to work aggressively to attract and engage outstanding women scientists.

The Harvard president has taken some heat recently from female faculty.

Since Summers' assumption of the school's presidency three years ago, the percentage of tenured job offers to women has dropped dramatically. Last year only four of 32 tenured job offers went to women.

A committee charged with examining the University's recruiting practices said in a letter yesterday that Summers' words will only make it more difficult to attract top female candidates.