Penn senior captain James Donapel, shown against Army, leads the Quakers this year after finishing second in the league in passing yards last season. [Michael Lupoli/DP File Photo]

Nov. 8, 2002.

On a brisk November night a little less than a year ago, the Penn sprint football team commanded the bright lights of Franklin Field for the last time in the 2002 campaign, wrapping up its seventh-straight winning season by crushing Princeton, 55-18.

Senior Night marked a storybook ending to the careers of two of the most talented players the program has ever had.

Two-time All-Collegiate Sprint Football League first-team selection Mark Gannon finished his career with 2,106 rushing yards, as he became just the fourth player in Penn sprint football history to rush for over 2,000 yards in his career.

Second all-time leading receiver Jeff Bagnoli also shined. Bagnoli wrapped up his career with five catches for 103 yards and two touchdowns.

While given the privilege of celebrating the careers of Gannon and Bagnoli, a third place finish in the CSFL and the thumping of a league rival, that night Penn fans were also given something perhaps even more precious -- a look at what was to come.

At the beginning of the second half, Gannon gave way to Jeff's younger brother Greg Bagnoli. Greg had 105 rushing yards in the contest. The elder Bagnoli saw his replacement, Patrick Monaghan, collect four catches for 83 yards of offense.

Greg Bagnoli becomes the new key to the the Quakers' ground game, combining a good work ethic with more speed than Gannon ever had.

"I think we are a little faster this year. Greg's got that good attitude and speed," Wagner said.

Veteran quarterback James Donapel will also have plenty of able targets aside from Monaghan.

"We also have three young kids that are really looking good at receiver," Wagner said. "Greg Herman, Corey Higa and Bobby DeLaura all have very good hands."

"We have a lot of weapons this year and we are always pushing Wags to open the offense up and use the talent that we have," Donapel said.

Returning four starters from last season, a strong veteran offensive line should give Donapel and the Quakers time while giving young Bagnoli and company the holes they need to move the chains on the turf.

"We have a lot of freshmen coming back as sophomores this year who have a whole season under their belts and should be ready to produce," Donapel said.

On the other side of the ball, three-time first-team All-CSFL defensive linemen John Pinto. The senior finished second on the team with 31 tackles, 20 of which were solo, in 2002.

"The defensive line will be one of the major strengths of the team this year," Pinto said. "Matt London, Doug Pires and I have all started since we were freshmen on that championship team, so we know what it takes to be successful."

The Quakers kick off their 2003 schedule Sept. 20 as they take on Navy in Annapolis, Md. Penn lost to Navy 48-0 last season.

The nation's service academies are consistently at the top of the CSFL. Penn will have the opportunity to feel out one of the league's top teams with the outcome not factoring into their quest for the championship.

"Playing Navy the second time this season is a really big game for us," senior captain Ray June said. "So this first game makes our chances better when it really counts."

Season Preview Home field: Franklin Field Last year: 4-2 Key losses: Mark Gannon, Jeff Bagnoli, Robert Pavlacka, Stephen Willard, Brandon Gebers, Robert Le, Brett Tompkins Key returners: James Donapel, Patrick Monaghan, Chris Malachowski, Ben Drane, David Derr, Jordan Cloyd, Evan Nolan, Matt London, Greg Bagnoli, Peter Heller, Tim Murphy, Hasani Sinclair, Brett Smiley Key game: at Navy, Sept. 20, Penn opens its season against one of the toughest teams in the CSFL. They will also face the Midshipmen at Franklin Field on Oct. 31. Player to watch: Greg Bagnoli The senior burst onto the scene in the Penn's final game of last season, rushing for 105 yards. Bagnoli was named Penn's Most Improved Offensive Player last year.