Members of Penn for Peace work on a 10-foot puppet of Vice President Dick Cheney yesterday on College Green to protest his visit and the Bush administration's stance on the war on Iraq. [Anna Grafton/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Students angered by Vice President Dick Cheney's visit to campus tomorrow have set up a round-the-clock protest on College Green, featuring tents, paper skulls and a 10-foot tall Cheney puppet.

Another group of students, however, is glowing over their opportunity to meet the vice president.

Both officials from the White House press office and College Republicans President David Copley confirmed last night that Cheney will meet with the College Republicans on Friday, although details about time or place have not been released.

"We're absolutely thrilled," Copley said. "Everybody is just really pumped up, and we're really grateful for the opportunity."

Cheney, a good friend of Huntsman Hall benefactor Jon Huntsman, will come to Penn tomorrow morning to help dedicate the new building in a private ceremony with Huntsman, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints President Gordon Hinckley and top University officials. The vice president's visit is the high-point of a two-day dedication celebration.

The protesters, who represent the campus groups Penn for Peace and Empty the Shelters, set up camp yesterday and plan on being there all day today into tomorrow morning. The students are protesting Cheney because they oppose the Bush administration's proposed war with Iraq.

"I'm strongly against the preemptive strike in Iraq [and I feel Cheney] is the strongest person in the administration at the moment," said College freshman Elise Wang, a member of Penn for Peace and Empty the Shelters.

Wang said yesterday that she planned on camping out on the Green last night and tonight. She estimated that between 10 and 20 students would take up temporary residence in the tent city.

Wharton spokeswoman Meghan Laska said yesterday afternoon that she had not yet seen the protesters but that "we expected there could be protests."

Penn for Peace member Lincoln Ellis, a College senior, said the protesters hope to prod others into action through their 24-hour presence on the Green.

"We want to continually remind the campus that the most dangerous vice president in history is coming to campus, and it's kind of our duty to speak out against him," Ellis said.

The element of the protests that seemed to be attracting the most attention yesterday was the giant Dick Cheney puppet purchased from Philadelphia-based political-action-through-puppetry group Spiral Q.

"To me, it looks like Cheney's angry at the world and is abusing his power," Ellis said of the puppet, which bears a tight-lipped expression.

The protesters said they are upset by the private nature of Cheney's visit -- his office has vetoed a live simulcast of the speech for students -- but that the vice president's plan to keep a low profile does not surprise them.

"It seems kind of obnoxious that he's coming to campus and won't speak to any students," said Penn for Peace member and College freshman Maya Ward-Karet.

But, she said, Cheney "generally has a closed-door policy."