Penn senior Alex Maasry (foreground) of the Quakers converges on the ball in yesterday's double-overtime loss to Lehigh at Rhodes Field. [Matthew Sorber/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

It was the final minutes of an intense, double overtime, game on a drenched Rhodes Field.

The Penn men's soccer team was confident it could pull out a win -- and rightfully so. After all, the Quakers were riding a six-game win streak, and were the nation's 21st-ranked team.

In addition, Penn goalkeeper, junior Matt Haefner, stood behind them, the No. 3 goalie in the country with a GAA of 0.42.

But soccer games aren't played on paper. Yesterday, Lehigh (8-4-1 overall) proved that -- at times -- stats are outweighed by determination and a little bit of luck.

Lehigh junior Steve Fisher definitely had luck on his side as he fired the ball. After gaining one step on Penn defender Justin Estrada, Fisher blasted the shot past Haefner and into the upper left corner of the Penn net for a 1-0 Lehigh win.

Fisher "made a real good run. I was there, but he just put it over me. It sucks," Haefner said. "The goal was just a cross and a really unlucky break."

For the Quakers, bad luck was the predominant theme of the game.

From the start, the Quakers were able to run all over their unranked opponent.

Penn spent most of the game making plays in front of the Engineers' goal.

A telling figure is the Quakers eight to four edge in corner kicks. Yet, the Red and Blue were just not able to convert when they had the chances.

"We had 70 percent control of the ball in the game," Haefner said. "But we just couldn't find the back of the net."

Even though Penn may have deserved the win, the Quakers are not complaining. They have also won their share of close games -- in particular a 2-1 double overtime win over Cornell on Sept. 28.

"We've certainly had our share of good fortune," Penn coach Rudy Fuller said.

Apparently, it is now the Engineers' turn. They are enjoying a six-game win streak -- having brought Penn's to a close -- with the last two victories coming against ranked teams.

Just three days ago, Lehigh's Fisher scored the game-winner against then No. 18 Duke before doing it again against the Quakers.

In both games, Lehigh focused on its defense and only on occasion did the Engineers' attack.

"They came here to defend," Fuller said. "They did that."

Despite Lehigh's reputation as a spoiler, the Quakers cannot help but feel a bit demoralized.

"I think it's a very frustrating to lose when you feel like you deserved to win," Fuller said.

This Saturday, the Quakers have the chance to regain their confidence and vent some frustration.

The Red and Blue are matched up against City series foe, Philadelphia University (3-6-1), which is hardly a national power.

The Rams' impotent offense has been unable to score in their last four games -- 390 minutes of scoreless action.

However, after their heartbreaking loss, the Quakers aren't going to take the risk of underestimating an opponent -- especially as Penn vies for a repeat in the Philly Soccer 7.

"They're a hard working, blue-collar Philadelphia team who doesn't give you an inch," Fuller said.