Penn's Samantha Matherne went 1 for 3 in the Quakers' second game against Columbia, a 2-1 Lions' win. Penn is now 0-6 in the Ivy League.[Avi Berkowitz/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

The Penn softball team was hoping to improve its 0-2 record in the Ivy League coming into this weekend.

But all the Quakers got was one rout and three near-misses.

After being crushed by Cornell, 18-0, in the first game of the weekend, the Quakers only allowed six runs in the final three games.

But unfortunately, the Quakers only scored two more runs total in a two-run loss and a pair of one-run losses.

Penn fell to the Big Red, 18-0 and 3-1, on Saturday and lost twice to Columbia, 1-0 and 2-1, on Sunday.

To kick off the series, Ivy League powerhouse Cornell dismantled the Quakers' offense, with 12 Big Red players crossing the plate.

Early in the first inning, Cornell senior Kristen Hricenak smashed out a three-run homer to start the rout.

It would only get worse.

"They are a very, very strong hitting team," Penn freshman Courtney Dilts said. "We are just in a bit of an offensive slump right now, we're having a hard time getting our hits together."

This lack of offense, combined with near-perfect pitching from Cornell sophomore Sarah Sterman and freshman Alyssa Brune, held the Quakers to only one run before the game was called in the fifth inning.

Penn came out with a vengeance in the nightcap, determined to regain some of its confidence after the thrashing in game one.

The Quakers did get out much better, taking a 1-0 lead when freshman Kristi Hackett doubled to right field and scored the lone Penn run of the day on a single by junior Deborah Kowalchuk in the bottom of the third inning.

The lead was short-lived, however, as the Big Red came right back to score two runs in the top of the fourth, taking a lead that they would not relinquish.

The Red and Blue viewed the doubleheader against Columbia as a chance to compete against a less ominous foe and regain some assurance in their game.

And although the Quakers fought to the finish in both games, they were unable to come up with a win.

Penn sophomore Nicole Borgstadt allowed only a single hit in the first game, with the lone run scored coming in due to an error.

Though the Quakers were unable to put any points on the scoreboard, their bats improved from the previous day. Kowalchuk managed two hits, while Dilts had a double.

In the final game of the weekend, Penn got out early -- just like the previous nightcap. Junior Christa Farrell lead off the first inning with a single to left field and scored on a single by sophomore Veronica Richardson.

But it was the same old story. Although the Quakers were able to hold Columbia scoreless until the sixth inning, the Lions scored two runs off junior April Jarvis' home run, shattering Penn's hopes for a win to culminate the otherwise bleak weekend.

The Quakers will return to the diamond Wednesday when they travel to Temple for one of their final non-conference games.

In last year's meeting, the Owls (15-20) defeated the Quakers in both games of a doubleheader, 3-0 and 5-0.