Cynthia Barlow

The journey began past the forbidden 40th Street landmark. My friend and I were venturing to Rx, a restaurant I had heard much about. It had recently been reviewed by Philadelphia Weekly, and while the review was not extremely promising, rumors on Penn's campus about "the new place on 45th and Spruce" made this an opportunity too good to pass up.

We would have easily passed Rx if it were not for the chalkboard in the middle of the sidewalk with the exuberant words "Come and See" written besides the Rx logo.

As we stepped inside the restaurant, a warm yellow glow embraced us. "This is so cute!" my friend squealed. Rx used to be a pharmacy, and the decor definitely reflects that. There are pharmaceutical shelves lining one side of the wall with various pharmaceutical knickknacks, kitchen ware from the past, jars of condiments and wine glasses lining the shelves.

Rx is BYOB, but we did not need wine to enjoy the meal. The menu changes daily, our waiter informed us. Certain items are regular features, such as the grilled hanger steak ($17) and the Pine nut-crusted skate ($15). However, the appetizers, fish, chicken and pork change daily based on what is fresh and available.

We decided to be adventurous. Before the meal started, we were treated to parsnip soup with green scallion oil -- the chef's compliments. My previous perceptions of parsnips involved an ugly beet, but the parsnip soup was surprisingly delicious. The soup was thick, sweet and creamy and slid down easily.

Our appetizer began to roll in -- my friend's gnocchi ($6) was lightly sauteed in butter. It was delicious and entirely devoid of the paste-like consistency I usually associate with gnocchi.

I was a little disappointed that my tempura scallops ($8) were fried, but once I bit into one, I realized that there was no heavy batter and that the frying kept all the succulent juices in. The wakame salad that came with my scallops also complimented them nicely.

The chef recommended that my friend's hanger steak be cooked medium, but she insisted on having it well done. Even without red showing, the meat was still tender, and the juices soaked right into her fries and garlic creamed spinach, giving the entire plate a wonderful meaty aroma.

My black cod ($17) came resting on a plate of sweet potato puree and eggplant, garnished with crispy beans. The fish was so fresh that the flakes came right off my fork and melted in my mouth. Delivered fresh, fish is definitely a strong point for Rx and makes up almost half of the menu.

Almost too full for dessert, we followed our waiter's recommendations. Miss Shirley makes the desserts daily and delivers them to Rx. Her mini chocolate bundt cake fulfilled any chocolate lover's dreams, and her apple pie is a favorite among the regulars. Rx also serves strong La Columbe coffee, a perfect ending to a satisfying meal.

I had read many complaints about the restaurant's inexperienced staff, but those reviews have not deterred West Philly residents. Our waiter was a little too attentive, but the extra attention was a welcome change as many other places usually ignore college students. Greg Salisbury, the owner of the restaurant, also played an extremely active role in welcoming and serving his customers.

At the front of the restaurant is a display of take-out foods and desserts. The take-out ranges with a variety of selections, from vegan salads to barbecue chicken.

Salisbury opened the restaurant when he moved to West Philadelphia and realized that not all residents sought pizza, hoagies and Ethiopian food daily. His restaurant fills the void for people searching for clean cuisine, and seems to be becoming "the neighborhood restaurant."

There is room for improvement at the restaurant. Less frying would cater more to health-conscious students, and more vegetarian selections could be offered. Delivery would definitely be nice, though the restaurant caters. Salisbury was a little disappointed that we were not going to try his brunch and lunch selections, but he did not know that my friend and I were already secretly planning another adventure back to Rx.