Junior jumper Meredith Bunche -- Penn's leader in the long and triple jumps -- will play a pivotal role in this weekend's match at Delaware.[Will Burhop/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Life will be different for the Penn women's track and field team after coach Betty Costanza's retirement -- but they don't have time to think about that now.

After almost a month off, the Quakers will hit the track this weekend at the University of Delaware Invitational in Newark, Del. The meet gives the Red and Blue the chance to start anew under interim head coach Tony Tenisci.

"We're trying to go on as usual and do the best that we can," Penn sophomore Emily Logan said. "We want to keep it a good season and make [Coach Costanza] proud.

"Hopefully she'll be there to support us, but we have faith in Tony."

The Quakers hope for the best against a six team field that includes Lafayette, LaSalle, Maryland, Navy, Rider, Duke and the host, Blue Hens.

"This is usually not that big of a meet for us," Logan commented. "But Duke is competing this year, so they should be pretty formidable."

Unfortunately, Penn has lost promising freshman Izu Iemeagwali to an injured right tibia. Last time out, she placed eighth in the 300 meter dash at the Princeton Invitational.

"I don't think the team will suffer without me at all," Iemeagwali said. "We have a team of strong, talented girls and everyone will contribute their part."

Where the Quakers hope to capitalize is in their field team which has undergone little transition.

The portion of team ordinarily led by Tenisici, the field team is poised to provide the consistency that the Quakers need in this weekend of changing leadership.

"He's always been a throwing coach, we've worked with him forever," sophomore thrower Tonia Sabino said. "It's more the runners who need to adjust if anyone has to adjust at all."

Beyond serving as the Quakers source of stability this weekend, the performance of the team in field events might very well contain the key to a successful season.

"We should be strong in the 20 pound weight," Sabiano said. "We have a solid team and we came back strong this week in practice. We're hoping to build the foundation for upcoming opponents like Cornell and Penn State."

Despite Penn's confidence that it will be successful for the season's duration even after Costanza's retirement, the legendary coach will certainly be missed.

"The team is pretty sad," Iemeagwali said. "Betty [Costanza] was a great coach. But we have complete confidence in Tony [Tenisci] and Cricket [Batz] who have both been with the team for over 15 years."

Saturday will be the Quakers first step in a new direction. Life without Costanza begins.