The sight of female students on campus doesn't raise any eyebrows or provoke stares these days.

But for the two women who entered Penn in 1876, their presence surely drew attention, as the then all-male school found itself suddenly transformed into a coeducational institution.

The University began commemorating this historic event yesterday with the 125 Years of Women at Penn celebration -- a tribute to the admittance of women and the contributions that alumnae have made to both the University and society.

"What it's meant to celebrate is the foresight of a great university to take in women when others did not and to show that the women were women who dared to dream," said University Trustee Judith Berkowitz, the chairwoman of the celebration.

"We want to celebrate the women who came after them, successive generations who had more they were able to do and achieve," Berkowitz added. "It's very empowering to know your history."

The celebration, more than two years in the making, was planned largely by alumnae, and grew to include over 400 members on the planning committee.

"I'll be very honest -- I had no idea what it was going to involve," Berkowitz said. "It grew, and it just kept growing."

The celebration also received help from various administrative offices, including the offices of the president, provost and secretary, along with development and alumni relations.

As part of the festivities, a variety of panels featuring prominent Penn alumnae will convene to discuss different issues. The weekend also includes a private performance of The Vagina Monologues and the dedication of the renovated Women's Walkway and Generational Bridge over 38th Street.

The renovation of the bridge was paid for with dedicated $5,000, $20,000 and $25,000 stones from alumni and $50,000 light rods and ivy columns. Any money left over will go toward forming a scholarship for female students.

For many alumnae, the celebration also is a testament to how far Penn has come since many of them graduated.

Marcia Greenberger, co-president of the National Women's Law Center and 1967 College of Liberal Arts for Women graduate, recalled separate standards, expectations, and academic and athletic events for women.

"It was very different back when I was in school and when my daughter graduated from Penn in 2000," Greenberger said.

The 125th anniversary celebration features over 1,100 alumnae from 26 states and five countries, with representatives from nine decades, spanning from the Class of 1929 to the present.

The entire celebration is also an opportunity to further alumnae interest and involvement with Penn.

Judy Vredenburgh, president of Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, said she is "proud of the collective strength," of Penn women.

"The weekend reconnects and reaffirms our connection to Penn," said Vredenburgh, an alumna and panel participant.

The gala began yesterday with a reception at 3:30 p.m. in the Penn Bookstore honoring Penn's female authors.

And yesterday, starting at 5:30 p.m., University President Judith Rodin and the University Board of Trustees hosted a two-hour dinner at Wynn Commons.

Afterward, a private performance of The Vagina Monologues was held in the Annenberg Center, introduced by alumna Wendy Evans Joseph, the original producer of the play.

Today, the day starts off with a breakfast at Wynn Commons, followed by two panels discussions from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.

The first, a health care panel entitled "Our Bodies, Ourselves: What You Know May Make the Difference," will be held at Irvine Auditorium. The second, a philanthropy panel entitled "Cents and Sensibility: Women Making a Difference," will be held at the Annenberg Center.

"It's a great opportunity to see old friends and to get caught up," said alumna Ruth Katz, the associate dean for administration at Yale University School of Medicine and a participant in the health care panel.

"It provides an opportunity to remind the University where we have been and steps which we still need to take," Katz added.

The dedication of the renovated 38th Street bridge will be marked by a ribbon cutting ceremony today at 11:30 a.m.

Afterward, Rodin will receive the annual Beacon Award from the Trustees' Council of Penn Women at a luncheon in Wynn Commons.

A second round of panel discussions will begin at 3 p.m. with a business panel entitled "The Waves: Making Them or Getting Swamped," will be held at Irvine Auditorium.

The second panel about women in politics and media, entitled "The Second Sex: What a Difference the Difference Makes," will be held at the Annenberg Center. A networking event will follow at Houston Hall.

"I'm hoping and expecting to have a wonderful time and look to an engaging set of programs and discussions," said Greenberger, a politics and media panelist.

The anniversary celebration continues through Homecoming weekend, with the annual Alumni Award of Merit Gala being held at 6:30 p.m. tonight to honor alumni for service to Penn.

The alumnae are also encouraged to partake in a special Locust Walk two-mile walk/run tomorrow morning, followed by a women's soccer game between Penn and Princeton.