Columbia University's half-year search for a president has finally come to an end.

In a statement on Wednesday, Columbia's presidential search committee officially announced that it will recommend University of Michigan President Lee Bollinger to become the next leader of the New York school.

Columbia President George Rupp announced in March his intention to retire on June 30, 2002, after nine years at the helm.

Columbia officials have declined to comment publicly on the search's end until the Board of Trustees meets tomorrow, when it is expected that the search committee's recommendation will be ratified.

Columbia College Student Council President Michael Novielli said he approves of Bollinger's pending appointment.

"We've heard a lot about his leadership at Michigan," Novielli said. "We're excited to hear he's going to be the next president."

According to Novielli, the student council conducted a survey, which revealed that many students felt disconnected from the administration. Novielli hopes Bollinger will help to remedy the situation.

"From what I hear, [Bollinger] is someone who interacts with the students," he said.

And Penn President Judith Rodin said she thinks Bollinger was a good choice to become the newest Ivy League president.

"He's a very distinguished scholar and a terrific person," Rodin said. "I'm delighted for Columbia."

During his five-year tenure at Michigan, Bollinger presided over the creation of the $300 million life sciences initiative to increase research in the life sciences and stem cells.

In addition, Bollinger was staunch in his defense of affirmative action in the admissions process.

In two separate lawsuits, district court judges have upheld the system in college admissions but have ruled against the use of affirmative action in law school admissions.

"The higher education community is actively looking at what is happening at [the University of Michigan] and how it will have an effect on admissions in the future," said Barb Sosin, president-elect of the Michigan Association for College Admissions Counseling.

Students at Michigan said they believe that Bollinger will be missed.

"It's a big loss," Michigan Student Assembly President Matt Nolan said. "He's been an amazing president... and the fact that Columbia is taking him shows how amazing he is."

"The aura of Bollinger was his leadership," he added.

According to Nolan, rampant rumors of Bollinger's departure have been circulating for months.

"We're shocked that it happened so quickly, but not surprised," Nolan said.

Bollinger was one of the finalists for Harvard University's presidency, but in March, he lost out to Harvard alumnus and former treasury secretary Lawrence Summers.

Bollinger will be the fourth new Ivy League president appointed in the past year. In addition to Summers, former Smith College President Ruth Simmons was appointed president of Brown University last November. Last May, Princeton University selected molecular biology Professor Shirley Tilghman as its new president.