A win is always the best way to kick off a new season. But the Penn men's fencing team did even better than that, as the Quakers notched two victories over Haverford and Rutgers last weekend at the Penn Invitational. Routing the Fords by a score of 26-1, the Quakers did not lose a bout in either sabre or foil. "We knew Haverford was going to be relatively easy," senior foilist David Cohen said. "I think the margin [of victory] showed that." The Scarlet Knights proved to be much more of a challenge, as the Quakers won by only three points, 15-12. "Rutgers we knew would be difficult because they beat a strong Yale team last week, and last year we only won 14-13," Cohen said. The Quakers' foil team was triumphant in seven bouts, while the epeeists contributed six victories to the team's total. "I'm really happy with how the meet went," junior epeeist Scott Eriksen said. "We fenced well as a team and accomplished what we wanted, which was to win." In sabre, however, the Quakers struggled, with the squad's only two wins coming from junior Daniel Vincent. "I was worried about Rutgers because they have a strong sabre team," Vincent said. "I was going in there expecting to win two, and I ended up beating a longtime rival [Rutgers junior Joseph Zampieri]." Senior captain Charles Hamann turned in an outstanding performance in epee against the Scarlet Knights, winning all three of his bouts. "Charles had a good meet," Vincent said. "He had the very last bout and defeated one of the strongest members of the Rutgers team." After losing only two seniors to graduation last year, the Quakers opened the season with a veteran roster that included six All-Americans. In addition, senior foilist Yaron Roth returned to the lineup after sitting out the 2000 season with a shoulder injury. "I'm glad to be back," Roth said. "I'm confident, I'm playing better than before and I'm ready to win." Also starring for the Red and Blue is sophomore Yale Cohen, the foil gold medalist in the Under-20 North American Cup. Cohen won the prestigious title on January 15. "Everyone knows we have a solid squad and I think this is one of the strongest teams we've had in a few years," Eriksen noted. With two victories behind them, the Quakers are looking forward to the challenges that await them this spring, including achieving their ultimate goal of winning the Ivy League Championship. "The wins provided us with morale," Eriksen said. "It gave us a sense of how much harder we need to work to accomplish our season goal -- winning the Ivy League."