Coming off the bench, freshman Adam Chubb led Quakers scorers with 17 points. (Alyssa Cwanger/The Daily Pennsylvanian)

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The Penn men's basketball team came down to the CoSIDA Classic with hopes of starting the 2000-01 season on the right foot. Instead, the Quakers realized they still have a lot to work on. Penn fell to Fordham Saturday night in the consolation round of the season-opening tournament, 81-78, in Raleigh, N.C. For the second straight night, foul trouble plagued the Quakers. The Rams were in the bonus with more than 12 minutes remaining in the contest and hit 30-of-37 from the line. Penn did not have the same success, hitting only 18-of-32 foul shots. Although Fordham consistently found its way to the foul line in the closing minutes, the Quakers kept it close throughout. Lamar Plummer, who finished with 15 points, hit a three-pointer with 8.8 seconds remaining in the game to pull the Quakers to within one at 79-78. After the ensuing timeout, Penn freshman Jeff Schiffner fouled Fordham's Arseni Kuchinsky to send him to the line with 5.7 seconds left and to give the Red and Blue one final chance. Kuchinsky sunk both free throws to give Fordham a three-point lead. Quakers point guard David Klatsky got the ball back to Plummer as time expired, but Plummer's three-point attempt bounced off the rim, and the Quakers will return to Philadelphia with an 0-2 record. In the first half, however, it looked as though the Quakers were on their way to redeeming themselves after last night's loss to North Carolina State. Penn rushed out to a 19-9 lead in the game's first nine minutes. But Fordham forward Duke Freeman-McKamey scored 15 first-half points to keep the Rams close. Penn led by just 33-32 at the half. On the night, freshman Adam Chubb led Penn with 17 points on 6-of-12 shooting off the bench. Penn will resume its season on November 28 at Davidson.