For the second time this season, the Penn women's basketball team beat Yale and lost to Brown. During a wild weekend in Ivy League women's basketball, Penn was one of the few constants. While last-place Columbia was busy upsetting first-place Dartmouth, the Quakers lost to Brown and defeated Yale in the same weekend for the second time this season. After falling 74-65 to Brown at the Palestra on Friday night, the Quakers bounced back with a win over Yale 73-62 the following night. The Quakers (8-13, 4-5 Ivy League) and Bears (11-11, 6-4) played evenly in the beginning of the first half, as the two squads stood locked at 16 apiece with 6:30 remaining. A 20-9 run to end the half, however, gave Brown a 36-25 lead at the break. Emilie Troupe drained three three-pointers to pace the Bears' first-half run. "We got a little out of sync because we got in foul trouble early," Penn coach Julie Soriero said. "Combinations of players that don't normally work together were suddenly on the floor, which doesn't do great things for our timing." Senior forward Sue Van Stone picked up three fouls in only six first-half minutes, while sophomore center Jessica Allen recorded two fouls in just one minute of play. The only reason the Quakers were still within striking distance at halftime was that sophomore forward Diana Caramanico already had a double-double. Caramanico grabbed 10 boards before the break while scoring 19 points -- an incredible 76 percent of Penn's scoring. The Bears then picked up where they left off, increasing their lead to as many as 17 points. With only 8:30 left in the game and Brown leading 58-43, the Quakers suddenly made a run. Sophomore guard Erin Ladley hit a jumper and then sunk two free throws to spark Penn's comeback. Junior guard Mandy West then stole the show. After being held to two first-half points, West scored 12 of Penn's final 18 points to finish the game with 22. "In the first half, Diana had 19 points, so the defense was collapsing on her more in the second half," West said. "This gave me more opportunities to penetrate and score." Although the Quakers cut Brown's lead to four with under one minute remaining, the Bears hit 6-of-8 from the charity stripe in the final minutes to ice a 74-65 victory. After playing catch-up the previous night against Brown, it was Penn who led most of its contest with Yale. The first half of the Yale game was marked by one of Penn's best defensive performances of the season. The Quakers held the Elis to 9-of-27 shooting -- good for just 23 first-half points. "We were going man or zone based upon whether they scored or missed," Soriero said. "It didn't allow them to get a lot of timing. Yale is a streaky team and if they get into a rhythm, they can put some points up." The Red and Blue successfully shut down center Katy Grubbs as well. Grubbs scored 19 points earlier in the season when the two teams met in New Haven but was held to four points at the Palestra. "She's not playing at the level we'd like, so somebody else deserves a shot," Yale coach Cecilia DeMarco said. "Lily [Glick] has been doing a good job and Caramanico gave Katy a lot of trouble, so we had to try a different body against her." Led by backup center Glick, who scored eight points and grabbed eight rebounds, the Elis found greater success in the second half, scoring 39 points. Nevertheless, their offensive turnaround was not a result of better execution but instead a product of good rebounding. "We did a great job defensively on their initial sets and looks," Soriero said. "However, we got in trouble and let them creep back into the game on their second- and third-shot opportunities." The Elis had 14 offensive rebounds in the second half alone, which led to 11 second-chance points. Although Yale picked up its offensive output in the second half, the Quakers also responded with one of their best 20 minutes of offense this season. Caramanico scored 33 for the second straight night and West added 22 points in back-to-back games as well. Caramanico's 66 points for the weekend left her just one point shy of 1,000 for her collegiate career. "We executed better than we usually do," West said. "We didn't just run our regular motions, but we ran a lot of special options too." The Quakers never lost their composure down the stretch as they pulled ahead 24-23 in the all-time series with the Elis.