Eileen Radetich is an ordinary college junior -- stressing out before midterms and keeping a strange sleeping schedule. But unlike most other University undergraduates, Radetich is also a 42-year-old wife and mother of six children who range in age from 6 to 17. Radetich is one of the hundreds of students who attend the College of General Studies, the University's program for continuing education. CGS allows students who have been out of college for at least five years to obtain regular undergraduate degrees from the University at one-third the normal cost of classes. A CGS student pays $846 per course, as opposed to the $2,633 per course that traditional University students pay. "People tend to think that because CGS students pay less money that there is a difference between a degree from CGS and a degree from the College," said Luise Moskowitz, publicity and external affairs coordinator for CGS. "But actually it is the same degree." Moskowitz said CGS is designed for students who need a more flexible schedule than most other undergraduate students. "We have students who need to take a year off to care for a sick parent," Moskowitz said. "CGS allows them to do this and come right back to finish their degree." She added that a majority of CGS students are part time and, although 33 students currently hold CGS-based scholarships, most do not. According to Moskowitz, CGS's "sexiest scholarship" -- called "Bread Upon the Waters Scholarship" -- pays the entire tuition cost for women over the age of 30 who attend school part time. Radetich, who is not on a CGS scholarship, first found out about Penn's continuing education program while enrolled in classes at a local community college. She added that after she applied and was accepted to the University, she knew that nothing could prevent her from pursuing her dream. "When my youngest child went to grammar school, I realized I needed to make a life for myself," Radetich said. "I loved my experience as an at-home mother, but getting a degree was something I just needed to do." Although school takes up much of her time, Radetich said her motherhood is still her top priority. "Sometimes I feel like I'm on a merry-go-round," she said. "I have to go to my daughter's basketball game when I should be studying for a midterm." Although going from mom to student to wife can be overwhelming, Radetich said she has learned a lot from her different roles. "I've found a new identity," she said. "It's helped me to be a more confident, stronger person." Even in times of despair, such as when her father passed away unexpectedly, Radetich has persevered because of her love for learning. "I want to get my degree so I can become an educator and give back to people the kind of encouragement and support I've received," she said. Former CGS student Richard Regalbuto -- currently a history teacher at the Abington Friends School -- has done just that. Regalbuto, who is in his late 30s, graduated from the University in 1995 with a degree in European History. He transferred to CGS from a nearby community college when he realized it was a "wonderful opportunity to attend a world class institution." But for Regalbuto, obtaining a Penn degree was no easy task. As a single parent, Regalbuto was a full-time student by night and a full-time worker by day. "The most important thing in my life is to be a good parent," said Regalbuto. "Thankfully, I had a lot of support from my son." He added that he did not mind the time commitment because of his love for academics. Pat Stallone, a 51-year-old College junior, understands Regalbuto's desire to fit in. She also attended community college before applying to CGS. She said Penn "scared the hell out of me" at first because of the difference in teaching styles. But by midway through her first semester, the grandmother of four had became a force to be reckoned with. "I've been having a ball," Stallone said. "Coming here has opened up a whole other world for me to explore -- and the young people I've been in classes with are often so insightful -- it's exhilarating." Stallone plans to get a master's degree in American Civilization or another liberal art so she can pursue a teaching career. "CGS students have a love of learning that drives them, and a wish to prove something to themselves," CGS Director and Associate College Dean Richard Hendrix said. While in the past most CGS students already lived in the area before enrolling, an increasing number of people are moving to Philadelphia just to take CGS courses, he added. Radetich said she only wishes more people would take the chance and return for a college degree. "Anyone can wear a cap and gown," she said. "All it takes is support and a little courage."