With more than 100 different minority-oriented organizations on campus, division sometimes prevails over unity. But through intellectual and social events aimed at uniting racial and ethnic groups, members of Global Village hope to counteract that tendency. Wharton sophomore Neysan Rassekh and Engineering sophomore Vesal Dini founded Global Village last year because they grew tired of complaining about the lack of racial integration on campus. Since its formation, the club has expanded to include a five-person board -- all of whom were Hill College House residents last year and share a common goal of "oneness of humanity," according to Dini. The club has also doubled its membership in the past year. Two weeks ago, Global Village held a fundraising raffle on Locust Walk, offering students a chance to win a trip for two to Hawaii, Florida, Mexico or the Caribbean. Second prize was lunch for two at Le Bec Fin. All proceeds from the raffle will go to support speakers, forums and workshops on race relations and cultural awareness issues. The group's first guest lecturer of the year was Swiss author Hossain Danesh, who spoke at Houston Hall November 22. About 20 students attended the discussion about the causes and dynamics of violence from psychological, political and spiritual perspectives. "Dr. Danesh pointed out the difficuly of going against the norm, which people in general view as healthy and correct," Dini said. "In this age, the norm is certainly not the right, and it is the responsibility of individuals to recognize the truth in this mass of modern confusion." Danesh also emphasized that each person's individual viewpoint "shapes the way they approach the world," Dini added. Global Village is planning several other events for the remainder of the academic year, including an informal luncheon on College Green, multi-cultural dances and a possible concert in the spring. The only other club at the University that aims to increase racial unity is Check One, which sponsors a monthly newsletter. Dini said he thinks the University's diversity has the potential to be its greatest strength. "But we just need to get other people involved in order to make this happen," he added.