Half Hollow Hills H.S. West '93 Dix Hills, N. Y. A student armed with a loaded 9-mm semiautomatic pistol was arrested by University Police in April during an evening class he was attending in Steinberg-Dietrich Hall. The next morning, Vice Provost for University Life Valarie Swain-Cade McCoullum placed the student, Douglas Murphy, on an involuntary leave of absence from the University. University policies and procedures prohibit the possession of "dangerous articles (such as firearms, explosive materials, etc.)" on University property. Murphy faces criminal charges, on top of sanctions from the University, including stalking, harassment, violation of the Uniform Firearm's Act and terrorism threats, according to University Police Commissioner John Kuprevich. The incident began when a student in the class -- who claimed he was previously assaulted by Murphy -- called University Police reporting Murphy had a gun. University Police responded to the call and questioned Murphy about the alleged assault. When University Police searched Murphy, they found the loaded gun in his jacket. A student in the class, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the alleged assault occurred after a disagreement between Murphy and the student two weeks prior to the gun incident. According to that student, Murphy struck the victim and knocked him to the ground three times.