College freshman Jae Lee was still in critical condition last night after being hit by a car at 34th and Walnut streets Monday morning as he was crossing the street, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania Nursing Administrator Nancy Dodd said. Lee underwent emergency surgery yesterday morning for multiple hematomas discovered in a CAT scan. The hematomas were putting significant pressure from blood on his brain. Lee had extensive surgery Monday night, when his condition first lapsed from stable to critical. "He made it through the second surgery," said College freshman Richard Kim, Lee's roommate. Kim said the doctors told him that Lee should wake up within the next few days. He added that the doctors said Lee may have sustained brain damage. University administrators were working to provide support to Lee's friends and family. "Right now, more than anything, we're providing support to the family," Assistant Vice Provost for Intervention Services Barbara Cassel said. "What I'll probably do is ask counselling as well as medical staff to meet with the hall." Cassel called the situation a "waiting game." "I've already been in touch with some students who have been keeping a vigil at the hospital and can't study," she said. "We're not sure what form or format the support will take." Hill House Assistant Dean in Residence Steve Feld said he will bring counselors and medical officials to the house to provide information and services to the students who know Lee. Feld also said he will be looking to provide religious recourses to the students. "I think all the students in the house are very concerned about him," Feld said. "It's a terrible thing." Feld said the graduate fellow who lives on Lee's hall has been spending his time "between the hospital and the floor." "Everybody's scared," he added. "Everybody's kind of in shock." Cassel said although Lee is in critical condition, he is stabilizing. She said more information will be available within 72 hours. "They can't really tell until he wakes up," Kim said.