I agree with Bill Madison, what is the purpose of dragging a child through the traffic of Locust Walk. I hope the sisters are doing something that will give the children dreams and goals to work for and not something that just satisfies the superficial "chic" of volunteerism. In any case, why ruin a potentially provocative column about the merits of different types of volunteerism by overstressing the detail of race? Madison has a rather limited view on people . . . Penn . . . the United States . . . life. Motivations, actions and relationships cannot be reduced to black or white. This is a world of color . . . bright, vibrant color! Everybody is colored. I'm colored quiet. My roommate is colored elf-like. I'm colored yellow. Madison is colored black. I'm colored American . . . and so is Mr. Madison. Let's get beyond what we see, my friend. I see those sorority sisters, and on first glance I see impeccably-styled hair, white fingers, black hands, twenty-year olds, cute and curious ten-year olds. I see those colors. Then I see one human being giving experience and knowledge to another human being who is learning, who is just being born. On this level, the area where true motivation resides, color does not matter. What matters is in the heart -- and the heart is always the same color. Blood red. GRACE LEE College '95