The Pennsylvania Supreme Court Thursday upheld the death sentences imposed on Gary Heidnik of Philadelphia for the torture slayings of two women. Heidnick, who lived in North Philadelphia, frequented the University area prior to his arrest in 1987. The former Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania employee reportedly attracted victims at the McDonald's Restaurant on 40th and Walnut streets, which he went to every day for six years. ''We conclude that the sentences of death imposed upon appellant are neither excessive nor disproportionate to the penalty imposed in similar cases, considering the circumstances of the crime and the record of the accused,'' said Justice Rolf Larsen in the court's opinion. Pennsylvania law requires automatic review by the Supreme Court of all death sentences. Heidnik had asked the court to skip the review and proceed quickly to execution. But the court said it could not honor the request because the law provided no alternative. The case was argued Dec. 3, 1990, before the Supreme Court , and the decision was announced Thursday. Along with the decision came an order from the Supreme Court to Gov. Robert P. Casey to go ahead with the death warrant. The first question the court had to answer in the automatic review was whether the evidence against Heidnik was sufficient. ''We find the evidence, as now set forth, sufficient beyond a reasonable doubt to sustain the jury's verdicts of murder in the first degree,'' said Larsen. The case came to light March 24, 1987, when a woman called police saying she had been held captive in the case of Heidnik's home for fourth months and there were three other women still there. She told officers that two women had been killed. Officers went to Heidnik's home and four two women chained up in the basement and a third woman in a hole, her hands cuffed behind her back and her ankle shackled. The officers found six bags of human body parts in the kitchen. Officers said Sandra Lindsay had been tortured to death. Heidnik chopped up the body. Debra Dudley was electrocuted as she lay in a hole in the basement floor that was full of water. Police said the body was dumped in a state forest in New Jersey. The defense had pleaded insanity. The prosecution prevailed with a case that included evidence from Heidnik's stockbroker that he had built $1,500 into a stock portfolio worth $531,702. Heidnik was originally charged with two counts of first degree murder, six counts of kidnapping, five counts of rape, four counts of aggravated assault and two counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse.