No pain, no gain. Whether it is to become healthier, stronger or more attractive, University students say that working out has become an essential part of their everyday life. The Hutch weightroom, which is located in the basement of the gym, contains several workout benches with free weights which can be used for no charge. College sophomore Ebun Garner said that he uses weights partly because it enables him to get in shape for the soccer season and partly because "it beats sitting around watching cartoons." He said that he works out six times a week, usually at Hutch and sometimes at the Hollenback gym -- a workout facility for varsity athletes. First-year MBA student Leslie Morgan said that she often goes to Hutch because it has "one of the best atmospheres of any gym I have been at." But she said that she is often the only woman there. The weightroom at Gimbel contains several Univesral weight machines but unlike Hutch it does not have any free weights. Students who work out at Gimbel said that it is the most convenient facility for students living in the high rises and the Quadrangle. College freshman Daniel Bisbee, who also likes to lift at Gimbell, said that he works out every other day to keep in shape for Navy ROTC. He added that exercising has a positive effect mentally as well as physically. "I tend to do better on schoolwork when I'm in shape," he said. Engineering sophomore Mark Montoya said that he goes to Gimbel three times a week and that he has been working out since high school. "I work out partially to keep in shape and partially to build muscles," he said. Unlike the weightrooms at Gimbel and Hutch, the Penn Fitness Center, located in Hutchinson Gymnasium, is not free. It costs $115 a year and it has about 950 members. Joanne Rafferty, who is in charge of the Fitness Center, said that there has been a large membership increase so far this semester because it is a new semester and people are "getting ready for spring break." Rafferty said that over 250 students, half men and half women, come to the Fitness Center each day to get physically fit. But while many students said that the facility -- which sports red and blue painted equipment -- is more "social," many students said that is too crowded during peak hours, from 4 p.m to 6 p.m. Second-year Medical student Steven Yung, who is one of about ten mebers of his class who come to the Center every other day, said that he really likes the atmosphere and the facilities but that it is "often crowded." College freshman Belinda Rosenfeld said that she likes the Center because she finds it to be good exercise and that "the people are very nice." She added that she doesn't mind the expense because knowing that she has paid for membership encourages her to come on a regular basis. The Penn Fitness Center offers new members an orientation program to learn how to use the machines and new members are encouraged to make appointments to have personal instruction. Many students build their biceps at University City Nautilus, located at the corner of 40th and Locust streets. Manager Bob Stern said that 80 percent of the club's 900 members are University students. Students said that they go to Nautilus because it provides more equipment and is more convenient for students who live off campus. Students said that while the health club is well-maintained, its main drawback is that it is much more expensive than the other facilities. Membership costs more than $170 per semester. The club offers Universal equipment, Lifecycle excercise bicyles, stairclimbers, treadmills, free weights, and two sets of Nautilus circuits. College senior Christina Gallo said, while she was pedaling on an exercise bicycle, that exercising at University Nautilus provides her with an important "relief of tension." College senior Sharon Winter said that University City Nautilus is "more convenient" than the gymnasiums. Students said that they find the instructors at University City Nautilus "helpful" in designing personalized training programs. Many students said that they prefer to shape-up in their dormitory rooms because it is more convenient and harder to put off working out. College sophomore Mark Schuchman said that he prefers the cozy confines of his Quadrangle room to any gymnasiums or private health clubs. "The [proximity] of the equipment makes working out convenient and also prevents me from making excuses about why I don't have time to lift," he said. Schuchman added that he has a bar and several five and 10 pound plates in his room which enable him to lift weights everyday before dinner. College freshman Joshua Rosenthal brought his work out bench from home to school with him. Rosenthal said that since he has come to school he works out several times each week in his Kings Court dormitory room. "Working out in my room saves me from having to walk to a gym in bad weather," Rosenthal said. Wharton freshman Gabe Levitt said that "having a bench in your room is definitely worth it." Levitt said that he has developed a workout program in his room which he is able to fit in between his classes and pledging a fraternity.