A new trial by jury is scheduled for January 24 in Common Pleas Court. In June, Municipal Court Judge Lydia Kirkland sentenced Winikoff to 100 hours of community service at any organization not dealing with animals and to pay $60 restitution for the rats, which were never recovered. In addition, Winikoff was ordered to stay away from the University. Under the Philadelphia court system, all defendants are entitled to a new trial by jury if they wish to appeal the decision of a Municipal Court judge. "We're sure that with the jury we'll win," said Winikoff, whose legal expenses are being paid by People for the Ethical Treatment for Animals. "We didn't really expect to win before the judge." Winikoff has said his actions were justified because the rats were being abused in the lab of Psychology Professor Robert Rescorla. The professor has repeatedly dismissed such allegations as unfounded. "We think this will force the University to fulfill their responsibility, which is to provide veterinary care for these animals," Winikoff said this week. "If they refuse to provide veterinary care for the animals, they're the ones breaking the law. They're the ones that should be brought up in court." --Steven Ochs