tdbank

The TD Bank at 37th and Walnut street was robbed in broad daylight on Wednesday. 

Credit: Tiffany Pham

A robbery at the TD Bank on 37th and Walnut streets prompted a UPennAlert on Wednesday afternoon, the Division of Public Safety said. The suspect, a fully-bearded black man wearing construction gear, is still at large.

Around 1:15 p.m., the suspect entered the bank and demanded the teller hand over money, DPS said. Without a physical struggle, the teller gave the suspect a package of money that contained a dye pack, a device which helps foil robberies by marking stolen cash with dye soon after it's taken. The suspect was last seen heading west on Walnut Street.  

A UPennAlert was issued at 1:42 p.m. and the all-clear message was sent at 2:07 p.m.

Police arrived on the scene and, while searching the area for the suspect, found the dye-covered money and the suspect's construction vest. 

The suspect fits a similar description of the person who robbed a PNC Bank on 19 S. 52nd Street around fifteen minutes before the TD Bank robbery, DPS said. Nobody was injured at either robbery.

The FBI Violent Crime Task Force is handling the investigation with assistance from Penn Police and Philadelphia Police.